Light-O-Rama Forums

multiple CCRs and network bandwidth

Nixay

Hi everyone,

This topic was previously covered here http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum76/20477.html but I'd like a little more info now with the advent of the CCR.

I'm thinking of running 5 CCRs this year, along with the rest of my usual display - which would total 800+ channels. I'm also having a look at the Lightshow pro software and it's ability to use video files to generate sequences. This can also generate a heck of a lot of timings if you use a high frame rate.

So I'm wondering if using timings of ~10 per second, with 800+ channels, it's looking to me like a standard LOR network is going to choke. And I usually use a COM port adapter (rather than a USB adapter) because I find it to be rock solid reliable, but also probably slower than a USB adapter?

Just how much can we push over a single LOR network involving CCRs without getting lag? Do the CCRs talk a more efficient language than standard controllers to accommodate their high channel count?

Nixay.

Unfortunately it is difficult to tell what the bandwidth requirements will be because of all of the parameters involved.

The SC485 has the same bandwidth at the USB adapters. We have seen 12 CCRs run on a single network and they seem to keep up pretty well. The CCRs do not have a more efficient protocol than other devices.

If it were me I would be prepared to split to a second network if there are any issues. Make sure that your network is set to the highest speed (in the sequence editor click Edit->Preferences->Network Preferences and select the highest speed).

Dan

Thanks Dan. I have two adapters so I can try out running a second network.

Will do much testing before showtime this year I think!

Nixay.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for horning in on this thread ... just confirming that CCR is not compatible with the wireless transceivers? I've been spoiled with wireless ...

Rick Hughes wrote:

Apologies for horning in on this thread ... just confirming that CCR is not compatible with the wireless transceivers? I've been spoiled with wireless ...

From the doc's...

The CR150D has an accessory power supply
allowing it to be used with wireless units and/or one
of the LOR Show Directors.

LOR Network Jacks
Two RJ45 jacks used to daisy chain this controller
into a LOR network. Auxiliary power is available for
wireless connectivity or Show Directors.

So, I would say that it is compatible.

Thanks ... sorry I didn't catch that. I was reading some of the "other" docs and missed that one entirely. Thanks again.

Rick Hughes wrote:

Thanks ... sorry I didn't catch that. I was reading some of the "other" docs and missed that one entirely. Thanks again.

No worries ... I've missed some LOR stuff as well.

LightORamaDan wrote:

Make sure that your network is set to the highest speed

Rick Hughes wrote:
... just confirming that CCR is not compatible with the wireless transceivers?

It should be noted that the wireless transceivers cannot operate at the highest network speed.

• The topic was locked