Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding CCR Extension Ribbons

Geoff Harvey

After missing out on CCRs in the earlier sale, I ordered one to test before the Summer sale. I also queried LOR on the availability of extensions and received a reply to the effect that extensions would NOT be available for the 2010 season.

This year I am considering extending CCRs to outline my roof.

Firstly, has anyone added extensions to their CCR (ie connecting 2 or more nose to tail)? and if so, did the combined units behave as indicated in the manual? Any advice would be appreciated and helpful.

Looking at my newly arrived CCR, there is no plug or socket connection at the non-controller end of the ribbon, consequently, to extend the ribbon, it will be necessary to remove the end cap, add wires to the solder pads (2, 3 or 4), and reseal the ribbon. My inspection and measurement checks suggest that the outer 2 tracks carry the supply voltage (0 and 12V DC), while I presume the 2 middle tracks carry the control signals. The CCR manual indicates that to add extension ribbons, an additional 12V supply will be required at each extension junction (note 3, p15). To wire the extension,

1. Should all 4 wires be continued from one ribbon to the next with the additional power supply added to the outer wires?
  2. Should the 2 control wires together with the common (0v) be wired from ribbon to ribbon (3 wires) with the 12V supply being added separately to each ribbon, or
  3. Should only the 2 control wires be connected between ribbons with the supplies (0 & 12V) being added separately to each ribbon, but presumably with a common external ground wire at zero volts.

My expectation is that item 1 should apply, but confirmation would be appreciated. If I do proceed with extensions, my preferred arrangement would be to use a single high capacity 12V power supply to power all ribbons and simply run power jumper leads to each of the ribbon junctions and the control boxes.

I look forward to any advice or experience from existing users of extensions.

Regards Geoff

• The topic was locked