Light-O-Rama Forums

Network Speeds and Channels

George Simmons

I apologize in advance if this has been covered over and over and I'm just too lazy to try to find it.

Are all controllers, presuming the latest firmware, capable of being in a 115K network?  If not, which ones cannot be used in that configuration?

What are the channel limits of 115K?

Thanks.

I apologize in advance if this has been covered over and over and I'm just too lazy to try to find it.

Are all controllers, presuming the latest firmware, capable of being in a 115K network?  If not, which ones cannot be used in that configuration?

What are the channel limits of 115K?

Thanks.

It is the limit of a normal serial comport.

Thanks Dennis.

Perhaps I worded that question poorly.  What I meant was how many channels will a 115K network allow?

Depends on the sequence, the length & quality of cable and the like.  

GENERALLY

We recommend no more than 6 CCRs per 115K network -- about 900 channels equivalent for average sequences.  For HS networks (500K), we recommend 24 CCRs - about 3,600 channels (which will also give a little more headroom for faster sequences).. Normal (57.6) and low speed (19.2) of course support even fewer channels - but also improve distance.  

Fast sequences, marginal cables, long distances all reduce channel qty.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike.

My longest run from PC to last controller will be 75 ft. on the HS network and 120 ft. on the 115K network, both of which are populated below the channel counts you listed.  Sounds to me like I'll be okay.

• 1 month later...

I am running 24 CCB strings with two networks at the 500 K speed - seems to be running fine. Some of my sequences are fast, so I did not dare push it to the recommended limit of 24 strings for one network.

• The topic was locked