Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR won't start up, Error Messages, Please Help

TravisP

Is anyone having issues with starting up LOR ?
Every time I try starting up the control panel I get a series of error messages.
One of them saying that the Microsoft DirectX runtime is not installed, in which I even went and downloaded directX and still getting error messages.
The following screen shots are the Error messages I am getting.
I even uninstalled, rebooted, downloaded the latest version of LOR and I am still having them same issues.

I summited a support ticket, I am waiting for a reply from them.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

post-12258-0-99810200-1382035358_thumb.p

post-12258-0-97502800-1382035359_thumb.p

post-12258-0-00276400-1382035361_thumb.p

(Yes ... cut/paste from help desk.)

Sometimes during or after installation when you try to start a program such as the Sequence Editor, the program will not start.  Instead an error message will pop up, saying:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Alternatively, you may be stuck in the 'DirectX' install loop - You begin to install S3, and when it the program tries to install DirectX, it appears to work and then loops back to start the DirectX install again.

These errors are typically because Windows is confused about what is, and what is not, installed. Fixing this error can be tricky since there are multiple things that could be wrong and/or that could fix the problem.  After each suggestion, run your test again and see if the problem is fixed.

==First, Reboot.

==Ensure all Windows Updates are installed.

==Try to install DirectX before installing LOR S2/S3.  Download and run the file from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34429

At this point, we have to start with more drastic measures:

==Try the Microsoft Fixit called 'Fix problems with programs that can't be installed or uninstalled' at http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

==Try the 'Windows Installer Cleanup Utility'.  You can find the program here:  http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_installer_cleanup_utility.html

(1) Download the installer for the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility from that web page.

(2) Close all of your running programs, especially LOR programs (if any are running), including not just things like the Sequence Editor, but also the LOR Control Panel (the light bulb icon in your computer's system tray).

(3) Run the installer for the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.

(4) After it installs, run the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility itself.

(5) It will present you with a list of installed programs. Select any and all "Light-O-Rama" programs, and tell it to clean them up.

(6) Close the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.

(7) Reboot.

(8) Reinstall Light-O-Rama.

==You may need to turn UAC off, and then install/uninstall and re-install.  For more information on UAC:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

Someone just had the same issue as your first picture shows. Turns out it was their virus scanner blocking the program. Try temporarily turning it off and see if that makes a difference. They were using AVAST.

(Yes ... cut/paste from help desk.)

Sometimes during or after installation when you try to start a program such as the Sequence Editor, the program will not start.  Instead an error message will pop up, saying:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Alternatively, you may be stuck in the 'DirectX' install loop - You begin to install S3, and when it the program tries to install DirectX, it appears to work and then loops back to start the DirectX install again.

These errors are typically because Windows is confused about what is, and what is not, installed. Fixing this error can be tricky since there are multiple things that could be wrong and/or that could fix the problem.  After each suggestion, run your test again and see if the problem is fixed.

==First, Reboot.

==Ensure all Windows Updates are installed.

==Try to install DirectX before installing LOR S2/S3.  Download and run the file from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34429

At this point, we have to start with more drastic measures:

==Try the Microsoft Fixit called 'Fix problems with programs that can't be installed or uninstalled' at http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

==Try the 'Windows Installer Cleanup Utility'.  You can find the program here:  http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_installer_cleanup_utility.html

(1) Download the installer for the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility from that web page.

(2) Close all of your running programs, especially LOR programs (if any are running), including not just things like the Sequence Editor, but also the LOR Control Panel (the light bulb icon in your computer's system tray).

(3) Run the installer for the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.

(4) After it installs, run the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility itself.

(5) It will present you with a list of installed programs. Select any and all "Light-O-Rama" programs, and tell it to clean them up.

(6) Close the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.

(7) Reboot.

(8) Reinstall Light-O-Rama.

==You may need to turn UAC off, and then install/uninstall and re-install.  For more information on UAC:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

Don

Thank you for the reply.

I did exactly as you instructed with no success.

I'm still having the exact same issues.

LOR was working fine for me ever since I installed it months ago.

Last night before I went to bed, my computer did a automatic windows update install then I went to bed.

I woke up this morning and turned my computer on, after it was done booting up, I went to start the LOR control panel that is when the problem started.

I have been trying to fix this issue all day and I am exhausted.

I hope there is a solution to this problem, thank god I backed up all my sequences etc... onto my SD card.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, with AMD Athlon P360 Dual-Core Processor 2.30 GHz, 64-bit Operating System.

Thank you

Travis

I would suggest putting in a ticket at the help desk. Off the top of my head, I don't know what the next step would be.

Be sure to include the URL of this forum thread so they can see what has been done to date. (Which will save you from getting the same answer from above returned to you.)

I would suggest putting in a ticket at the help desk. Off the top of my head, I don't know what the next step would be.

Be sure to include the URL of this forum thread so they can see what has been done to date. (Which will save you from getting the same answer from above returned to you.)

Don

I summited a support ticket early yesterday, but by the end of the day they pond me off to the forums.

I followed their suggestions and nothing worked.

But this morning I tried something different.

I removed any and everything related to LOR uninstall, reboot, etc.....

I then installed a earlier version of LOR 2.8.12 and it works fine, rebooted and installed 3.10.12 and the problem happened again and it can not locate the Light-O-Rama.msi file.

It seems the problem exist only with S3 not S2.

Edited by TravisP

having the same problem. My problem stated when I tried to turn on control panel. Then I received the same errors.

since then and before finding this post I had tried reloading LOR even cleaned the registery.

Turned of AVAST.

Run computer at an earlier date.

Am now following this post.

Hope it can be fixed without much more heartace.

John

I removed any and everything related to LOR uninstall, reboot, etc.....

I then installed a earlier version of LOR 2.8.12 and it works fine, rebooted and installed 3.10.12 and the problem happened again and it can not locate the Light-O-Rama.msi file.

Perhaps try doing that again, except after you install LOR 2.8.12 and reboot, instead of installing 3.10.12, uninstall 2.8.12, reboot, then install 3.10.12.

Another possible tool to consider using:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

And this thread has several suggestions (many in the comments rather than in the top post, so be sure to look at the whole thread), all of which have worked for various people in the past.  They've also not worked for various other people, so don't give up on the suggestions from that thread just because one or two didn't work for you.

Also, just to be clear, "It seems the problem exist only with S3 not S2" is not true in general (I don't mean it's not true in your case).  It has happened to people with S2.  It's also happened to people who have never even heard of Light-O-Rama let alone installed it on their computers. 

I believe that your Windows is confused about what is installed.  How to get it "unconfused" is unfortunately not clear to me, and it seems that different things have (and have not) worked for different people in the past.

Basically anything that might get Windows to reconsider what is, and what is not, installed, might be something to try.  The various things from that thread I linked to (third party uninstallers, registry cleaners, Windows Installer CleanUp Utilty or whatever Microsoft is calling it now, the "UAC" thing that fixed it for at least one person), or Windows Update, or rolling back to an earlier Windows system restore point, or trying a "repair", or uninstall/reinstall, or even various of these suggestions in various combinations or orders (for example, maybe a third party uninstaller, then a registry cleanup, then reinstalling).  In a worst case scenario, if feasible, perhaps even a repair or reinstall of Windows itself.

It may not even be LOR itself that Windows is confused about.  For example I remember one person who had this problem eventually fixed it by uninstalling an unrelated application that they had recently installed (I think it was... some drivers for an HP printer? Maybe? I'm not sure - but it doesn't really matter).  Something probably went wrong during the installation of that other product, and that was enough to confuse Windows and get LOR in this weird state.  I certainly don't mean to imply that the root cause of Windows' confusion is definitely not LOR; I'm just saying it's definitely not necessarily LOR, and so you might want to broaden your search for what might be the root cause.  Did you install anything else recently? Update any drivers? Potentially even a run of Windows Update that something went wrong during could get Windows confused.

This problem is unfortunately difficult to nail down, and it seems that the root cause for one person is not necessarily the root cause for another person.  Nor is the root cause clear in any case.  So the suggestions of what to try are scattershot shots in the dark.

Guys, I had some issues with installing TrackSkull, the version that dumps out to LOR. Ultimately after some sluthing it turned out that somehow permissions on this directory got whacked. Travis, it is a shot in the dark but check to ensure you have all SYSTEM level permissions on this directory:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp

<username> - should be what you login to your computer with.

Edited by zman

Here's another shot in the dark; I don't know whether this will help or not, and to be frank I don't even know that it won't hurt, so use this at your own risk:

Close all of your running programs.  Open up a command prompt window.  If you are using an operating system where it matters, run it "as administrator".  In the command prompt window, type the following line:

msiexec /x{E744BFEA-E027-441E-83A2-36202F661E31}

Please note:

• There is one and only one space in that line.  It immediately follows "msiexec".  There are no other spaces anywhere in the line.
  • The braces are curly braces {} not square braces [] nor parentheses ()
  • The characters that look like they might be either the digit zero or the letter O are the digit zero, not the letter O
  • The characters that might look like they might be either the digit one or the lowercase letter l or the uppercase letter I are the digit one, not the lowercase letter l or the uppercase letter I

When you enter this line, I expect that a message box should pop up asking you something like "Are you sure you want to uninstall this product?".  Confirm that you are sure.  Then there may be other prompts that ask you for various things like administrative access, and eventually the uninstall should complete.

Then reboot your computer.

After your computer boots up again, try to install 3.10.12.

Again, this is very much a shot in the dark on my part, and it's the first time that I'm suggesting trying it, so do this at your own risk.  If you choose to do it, please let me know whether it helps or not, and if it does not, please explicitly note any error messages that you may receive, exactly word for word in full.  Thanks.

Here's another shot in the dark; I don't know whether this will help or not, and to be frank I don't even know that it won't hurt, so use this at your own risk:

Close all of your running programs.  Open up a command prompt window.  If you are using an operating system where it matters, run it "as administrator".  In the command prompt window, type the following line:

msiexec /x{E744BFEA-E027-441E-83A2-36202F661E31}

Please note:

• There is one and only one space in that line.  It immediately follows "msiexec".  There are no other spaces anywhere in the line.
  • The braces are curly braces {} not square braces [] nor parentheses ()
  • The characters that look like they might be either the digit zero or the letter O are the digit zero, not the letter O
  • The characters that might look like they might be either the digit one or the lowercase letter l or the uppercase letter I are the digit one, not the lowercase letter l or the uppercase letter I

When you enter this line, I expect that a message box should pop up asking you something like "Are you sure you want to uninstall this product?".  Confirm that you are sure.  Then there may be other prompts that ask you for various things like administrative access, and eventually the uninstall should complete.

Then reboot your computer.

After your computer boots up again, try to install 3.10.12.

Again, this is very much a shot in the dark on my part, and it's the first time that I'm suggesting trying it, so do this at your own risk.  If you choose to do it, please let me know whether it helps or not, and if it does not, please explicitly note any error messages that you may receive, exactly word for word in full.  Thanks.

Bob

I ran the msiexec /x{E744BFEA-E027-441E-83A2-36202F661E31} and it uninstalled LOR.

I rebooted and I am now downloading 3.10.12

I will let you know what happens after I install it

This link will explain how to make the mods I suggested:

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/63211-how-i-solved-error-2203-a.html

Mark

I read that link you posted and followed it exactly, but to no avail it did not solve the problem.

Ok now that I have calm down a bit, I ran that address that Bob posted above which uninstalled the LOR software 3.10.12
After install I opened Start Menu- Light-O-Rama- Control Panel.
When I click on LOR control panel in the start menu it tries to finish the setup but during the process the follow error messages pop up.
I am in dire need to get LOR S3 installed and working.

If anyone else any suggestions, please let me know.

Oh and also, I tried every single suggestion in the link to the other thread that was posted above and all other ideas I have tried also.

post-12258-0-06533500-1382164486_thumb.p

Well I finally got mine up and running again.

Did everything as instructed to in post #4

The problem was in downloading the new 3.10.12

Tried to install but got the same message. This happened because part of the new download was missing.

Wasn't until I downloaded from the Alternative Download

http://www.lightorama.com/downloads/3.10.12/LOR-3.10.12.exe

now if you can get Control panel to run

right click system tray (red light bulb)

upgrade light o rama

brings up licence info

close this box

register light o rama box

down the bottom > need to click (need to register offline)

you have your name and licence key

fill in the offline registration key details on this page.

Should now say Thank you registering. Close and re open to enable new features.

Well I finally got mine up and running again.

Did everything as instructed to in post #4

The problem was in downloading the new 3.10.12

Tried to install but got the same message. This happened because part of the new download was missing.

Wasn't until I downloaded from the Alternative Download

http://www.lightorama.com/downloads/3.10.12/LOR-3.10.12.exe

now if you can get Control panel to run

right click system tray (red light bulb)

upgrade light o rama

brings up licence info

close this box

register light o rama box

down the bottom > need to click (need to register offline)

you have your name and licence key

fill in the offline registration key details on this page.

Should now say Thank you registering. Close and re open to enable new features.

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I got it working.

Thank you to everyone that posted helpful information and tips.

Here is exactly what I did, and I hope it helps someone in the future.

what I did was completely uninstall LOR 3.10.12, Rebooted, then ran the LOR registry cleaner, rebooted again,

then instead of using Interent Explorer to download the LOR install file, I used Firefox to download it,  I downloaded from the Alternative Download

http://www.lightoram...LOR-3.10.12.exe

after the download was complete I ran the install, then went to start menu clicked on control panel, and it finished the rest of the install and I was able to register the LOR software.

Now all is good.

Thank you every one