Light-O-Rama Forums

Using the computer for other applications during light shows

Guest guest

I was wondering if I ran my light show during the Christmas season, if I could still use my computer?

I was running a test the other night, so my wife minimized the program and tried to get on the INTERNET. We have DSL and it works great, but during the test it wasn't coming up. It might of came up after a while, but I didn't wait to long. I have XP and the computer is pretty fast. I will have to check it and post it.

Can you tell me what problems you have faced?

Good, cheap solutions?

Any hints?

Michael B

Michael B wrote:

I was wondering if I ran my light show during the Christmas season, if I could still use my computer?

I was running a test the other night, so my wife minimized the program and tried to get on the INTERNET. We have DSL and it works great, but during the test it wasn't coming up. It might of came up after a while, but I didn't wait to long. I have XP and the computer is pretty fast. I will have to check it and post it.

Good, cheap solutions?

Any hints?

Michael B

Yes, it can be done (at least to a certain point) but if you have the sound/music coming from your computer during the show, make sure to turn off all sounds on your computer settings or your show will have those computer sounds mixed in with the Christmas music. I do know that (I found out the hard way)

Just my thoughts,

Tom

Santas Helper wrote:

Michael B wrote:

Good, cheap solutions?

Any hints?

Michael B

Yes, it can be done (at least to a certain point) but if you have the sound/music coming from your computer during the show, make sure to turn off all sounds on your computer settings or your show will have those computer sounds mixed in with the Christmas music. I do know that (I found out the hard way)

Just my thoughts,

Tom

Tom,

I don't know if you remember, but you and Rick Hughes are the reasons I decided to get LOR. I am loving it!

Thanks!

Michael B

Michael B wrote:

Tom,

I don't know if you remember, but you and Rick Hughes are the reasons I decided to get LOR. I am loving it!

Thanks!

Michael B

Thanks Michael,

I've found everybody on this chat site comes together as a team in some way or another and I myself have thanked many of members for their advise, help and suggestions. That's one huge benefit of Planet Christmas.

UNITED WE STAND.

Tom

The Windows multi tasking topic has come up a few times before as well as side issues at PLUS 2005. The consensus is to leave the computer as a stand alone during LOR shows. There is no one issue. Sometimes it is a sound issue, sometimes an overload of the CPU to cause the show to jerk, sometimes non-LOR programs will crash the system, etc. etc. I have never read that LOR is the cause of any problems.

From experience, I personally believe that Windows (all versions) are extremely good at multi tasking as long as you never activate and run more than one program at a time!

ggregzim wrote:

extremely good at multi tasking as long as you never activate and run more than one program at a time!

Now I'm curious, how can it be multi tasking if you only activate and run one program at a time :]?

But I will agree with you. When my light show is running, my computer is not used at all for anything else. I also know that while running the light show with music, if another media file is chosen (like windows media player) to play something, both sounds will be heard at the same time, even with computer system sounds off (I also found this out by accident :]).

I just let her run it's own course every night until the show is over.

Tom

Those that need a second computer to run their show, I have noticed that the thrift shops around town have many old computers for as low as $20. I would think that if you visit places like Goodwill, St Vincent DePaul, etc., you would find something at a bargain price to dedicate to running the show. I think the only thing you would really need to do is make sure it is running on at least Windows 98SE.

I've had folks give me computers on the promise that I wipe out the hard drive. You can sometimes get a few free computers with a want ad or a simple "wanted" bulletin board sign at work or at a friend's job/store. Many folks feel bad throwing out old computers and would like to see the computers go to a worthwhile cause...

Tom

tsmith35 wrote:

I've had folks give me computers on the promise that I wipe out the hard drive. You can sometimes get a few free computers with a want ad or a simple "wanted" bulletin board sign at work or at a friend's job/store. Many folks feel bad throwing out old computers and would like to see the computers go to a worthwhile cause...

Tom

That is a good Idea, I might try it at work. They all know I am crazy about Christmas, so they might feel sorry for me.

Michael B

im sure if you ask around someone has a old PC laying around somewhere i have got dozens of the things and i run my setup on a 233mhz with 256mb ram and it runs fine but that is all that computer ever does

p.s. anyone around mass wants a computer please come and get one haha

dovaka wrote:

im sure if you ask around someone has a old PC laying around somewhere i have got dozens of the things and i run my setup on a 233mhz with 256mb ram and it runs fine but that is all that computer ever does

p.s. anyone around mass wants a computer please come and get one haha

Dovaka,

I will run up there!

With gas at $2.74 a gallon and you are a lot of miles away, that will cost me $$$$$!

What a deal! I'm leaving now! :waycool::waycool::waycool::waycool:

Funny thing last year when I was setting everything up I was outside checking lights and music. I kept hearing this "ding" thought what the heck was that. Then again. Well I came inside and there was my daughter using IM and everytime some one would send her a message "ding"!:laughing:

The good thing, Robin, is that you discovered it when you were setting up. You may have to remind me about that potential problem come November when we're setting up and my brain is completely fried.:D

Michael B wrote:

Michael B

It really depends on the specs of your computer as to multitasking. If you've got a good computer (ie. Intel Conroe or AMD X2 range, with 2GB of ram) you should be fine running other apps at the same time. Just as long as you've got other sounds turned off like other people have already mentioned.

But by the sounds of it your computer isn't that good, as you said it bogged down when you opened internet explorer.