Light-O-Rama Forums

Arrrgh! Setup not going well (resolved)

Guest guest

Ok, here's the deal, and I'll try to be as condensed as possible...I purchased the 1602W unit with USB485B converter. I plugged in the 02w and got the blinking red led. I plugged the usb cable into the computer, and the red light becomes steady. I downloaded the usb485B driver from the Hardware utility disk, and that seems to have gone ok.

When I go into the Hardware Utility Menu, I would hit the "Auto Configure" button. It would search comms 1 and 4, and then give me this message: "Unable to locate the Light-O-Rama port. Check that controller is connected and that it is powered on. Because of access errors not all ports were checked. Using the Light-O-Rama control panel make sure that all shows are disabled". When I try manually selecting a comm port, it gives me the box "Comm Port has been changed to Comm4 (or Comm1). Is that the port that will be used for Shows?" When I select "Yes", the message "Light-O-Rama Network Port has been set to Comm4 (or Comm1)". However, it doesn't appear to have configured anything, because when I click the refresh button, I get the message 'Found 0 Units'. Thru all of this, light remains a steady red.

Just to note, the Light-O-Rama status reads 'Light-O-Rama 1.5.0 is currently DISABLED'.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program without any success.

Any ideas? (Just so you know...unfortuanately I won't be able to play with the unit again until late Thursday night or Friday, but I will be able to read and respond to your ideas) I'm hoping that in playing I didn't mess anything up! Thanks in advance everyone!

Hi,

My guess is that you are not using the Hardware Utility (HWU) that came with the USB485B. On the CD that came with the USB485B there is a Hardware Utility that is compatible with it. Drag that program off the CD and into Light-O-Rama folder.

There is a note in the Adapter Manual (page 7) about the need for the new HWU. We understand that few people read the manual so there is supposed to be a little note just inside every USB485B's box stating that the new HWU is required. Unfortunately a few USB485Bs did not include this note.

Dude...you are the man. I did get the additional notice, but misunderstood what needed to be done. After you re-explained it, I took another look at the cd, and noticed what you were talking about. It has now found a comm port, and it has found the unit.

I was in bed, but got up just in case anyone had the answer. Now I can sleep happily now.

Thanks a whole bunch Don.

What would we do without this chatroom? I was just logging on with the same issue, not being able to find the controller port. Although I had read "the note" and pamphlet and ran the software, I hadn't done the "drap & drop" of the Hardware into my LightORama file. I guess I figured the cd was going to magically do everything by itself. :)

Time for another test run...

With the latest version (1.5.5) of the Hardware Utility Auto-configure should work with Wireless. Most likely you do not have the version of the Hardware Utility as it was only finished a week or so ago. That version of the Hardware Utility has a little animated ELL in the bottom if an ELL is attached and has a 1.5.5 after the words Hardware Utility (at the top). We will get this version posted on the website in a day or two. This version is much more ELL friendly than the previous version.

Just check the available com ports and most likely the USB485B is the highest number listed. Select each of the ports and then do a get configuration under the RF tab to see if the ELL can be found.

If you try each of the ports and still cannot locate the ELL then perhaps the USB485B's drivers are not installed properly. With the USB485B unplugged from the PC start the Hardware Utility and check which com ports are available in the drop-down on the left. Then stop the hardware utility, plug in the USB485B and wait for it to get installed (about 10-30 seconds depending on the machin)... Then start the Hardware Utility and check the drop-down box that lists the com ports. Another port should have appeared.... That new port is the USB485B.

When I took off the wireless and went with a direct link, it found the controller right away. I'll be sure to update my program, though, just in case for the future.

I threw the wireless connectors back on, ran out to the garage and hooked up my 8 mini trees, and with the lights off in the garage, put on a fun show for my little girls to the tune of Clint Black's "Milk & Cookies." As soon as the lights went on, I realized how ADDICTING this will be!!! Just wait until my husband finds out what I bought, LOL! :)

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

I'm having a similar problem.

Running the USB485B, I'm configured to Comm 4, the LED in the unit is lit solid.

When I hit refresh I get Found 0 Units.

I rebooted both my computer and reset the unit by unplugging, setting to 00, plugging back in and resetting back to 01.

I copied the file named Setup_HardwareUtility1_5_10.exe, into the folder. I also installed it, same problem.

Thanks for the help.
Jim

JimB wrote:

I'm having a similar problem.

Running the USB485B, I'm configured to Comm 4, the LED in the unit is lit solid.

When I hit refresh I get Found 0 Units.

I rebooted both my computer and reset the unit by unplugging, setting to 00, plugging back in and resetting back to 01.

I copied the file named Setup_HardwareUtility1_5_10.exe, into the folder. I also installed it, same problem.

Thanks for the help.
Jim

Jim,

You might consider starting a new thread for this. Since this thread is marked 'resolved' a lot of people might not look at it. (I do not have an answer for you this morning.....)

JimB wrote:

Jim,

If you're getting a solid light on the unit (controller), don't worry about the Hardware utility. The unit and the computer are talking to each other. I've got the same adaptor with the same reults but the show runs perfectly.

Tom