Light-O-Rama Forums

High density LOR boxes?

eldoradoboy

does anyone know if there are any plans for High density LOR controllers?

I find more and more esp with LED's coming along that im all about more channels and not so much about Amps.. with 11 controllers (likely adding another 6 or more for 2010) I find it is getting a pain to feed power to them all.. and that some controllers im only using 3 amps in the whole thing combined..

so I just wondered if LOR has plans for say 32 or 64 channels all on one board? in one box?

something like that would be perfect for an LED mega tree or arches, or roof lights etc..
-Christopher

It is not the full solution you are looking for, but increasingly, I am finding (even with incandescent) that I have many boxes that can run on a single inlet, and that converting the PC boxes to single inlet really makes life simpler. Fewer grounded connections to contribute to GFCI trips, fewer triple taps, fewer stacked triple taps. I thought I would not need more than a dozen for the city show for a while, but I was wrong, we used all of those conversions this year, and could have used a few more.

Can we get more detail John? Can't see much but a very large case.

I too would like to see a larger number of low power channels on a single board with one power inlet. Ready to plug in...
The output cords could be much lower rating. I only want to put one string of LED or minis on a channel.

I guess the best way is for me to build up something with multiple boards.. im finding the more im into this i really like sequencing and working with more channels.. some people like more lights.. i like more channels.. I like to be able to create effects..

I agree it wouldnt be too hard to buy board-only kits and then set up my own enclosure and could even share the power feeds.. in fact I could run a GFCI for each power feed to each board....

I had very good luck this year with eliminating GFCI trips by spreading out my circuits so when a trip occured i could find the source of the issue easily...

and with multiple networks speed shouldnt be an issue or traffic on the network...

-Christopher

I built my own 48 channel enclosure for this year and will probably build a couple more of these as well as one with 96 channels for next year.

Attached files 194492=10861-enclosure4.jpg

Well since the enclosure boxes were free to me, I can't complain at all.

Thanks for the compliment though and yes it is nice and tight out there in the snow and rain.

I also use these types for single boards.

Very weather tight and fit a board just right. With the feet on them they are easy to mount anywhere I need a controller.

Attached files 194495=10862-controllers.jpg

Here is a photo of one of my control boxes for my mega tree. 2 of these boxes do the entire tree of 64 channels. The tree is all LED and only 2 powercords, one for each box and they both get plugged into a 3way tap.

Chuck

Attached files 194550=10868-100_2183_1.JPG

what do you use for channel power outputs in these mega boxes you guys use?

it seems like for low amps that the cord whips with 3 prongs and all are overkill..

however part of me wonders if I go to using SPT2 and putting my own ends on if I dont introduce more possibility of GFCI trip issues because the plugs are near as watertight as the LOR whips...

I also like how your guys boards have screw terminals.. all my boards have quick connects.. how do I get LOR to make me boards with screw terminals instead?

-Christopher

The boards with the screw terminal are from LOR and they are the CTB16D boards. Yes they are a little more expensive than the PC version.

I use SPT for my output cables. They are about 10' long. The go to the ring on the tree and the lights plug in. I leave my lower ring free floating and there is no direct path to ground to cause a tripping of a GFI.

Chuck

eldoradoboy wrote:

what do you use for channel power outputs in these mega boxes you guys use?

it seems like for low amps that the cord whips with 3 prongs and all are overkill..

This is a bit off the "high density" subject, but take a look at this post which has a picture of my home-brew Rubbermaid enclosure. That's a 9-pin Molex connector, which concentrates 8 channels into about 1 square inch.

however part of me wonders if I go to using SPT2 and putting my own ends on if I dont introduce more possibility of GFCI trip issues because the plugs are near as watertight as the LOR whips...

That doesn't matter. The 3-prong pigtails are actually more likely to cause a GFCI trip because of the proximity of the ground pin. If your SPT2 plugs are not laying on the ground, there is no path for ground leakage (ground fault) even when they get wet.

My box uses scrap PVC as an overhang to keep water out. I have had no GFCI trips from this box.

I also like how your guys boards have screw terminals.. all my boards have quick connects.. how do I get LOR to make me boards with screw terminals instead?

A LOR board with screw terminals is the CTB-16D ($199.95). You pay more than the PC-CTB16PC ($121.95) for several reasons, one of which is that screw terminals cost more than quick connects.

I am working on re-doing my 3 seperate controller boxes into a single box using a large breaker box picked up from Habitat For Humanity's ReStore for $10.. basically I will use a large capacity breaker box designed to house about 60 breakers(2x30). It's large, kinda heavy, already "plumbed" with bus rails, and securable (padlock) with enough room for 4 controllers. If I use 6' extension cords, even the controller miounted at the top of the box will have a couple feet of cord sticking out the bottom of the box cable clamps.

I've seen various sixes of breaker boxees, with enough room for 2, 3 or 4 controllers, probably even 5 to 6 if spacing between boards is kept close, and with all-steel box, passive cooling thru the mounting fins shouldn't be a problem.

TJ