Light-O-Rama Forums

rabbits chewing cat5 cable

medman2000

Ok other than the obvious "shoot them" answer, any tricks to avoid rabbits chewing through cat5 cable? Every 2-3 nights I come home from work to see 1/4th, 1/2 or worse of my display dark because a rabbit decided to chew mid-stream. I wake up and see rabbit tracks all over the snow and piles of rabbit poop next to my controllers - just hoping they would at least chew into a power cord and fry or something.

How do you all do it?

If you have no pets in your yard, you can try a little dish of ethylene glycol. They seem to like the sweetness...

I believe we have found another advantage to centralized controllers. All my controller to controller cables are up on the side of the house, out of reach. But that does put a lot more SPT2 out for them to munch on. I do see rabbits around here most of the year, and even wind up unintentionally chasing them around the yard with the lawnmower. But I have no idea where they have gone for the winter...

I should probably crunch some numbers over the winter here. Cost of the extension cords compared to the cost and frustration of me trying to find the chewed up cord in the snow.

For now I ended up buying a rabbit trap on amazon, overnighted it here so we'll see how it goes! Maybe eat rabbit for Christmas dinner :)

Well we use Human hair, from a barber shop in the sumner to keep them out of our gardens. They tend to smell the human scent and don't hang around. Not sure it will work for wet or snowy ground, but it sure does in our garden.

The wife just went to the local salon and got a sack of the hair and spread a bit out over the place. Problem solved with our tomatoes being eaten by rabbits.

Robert