Light-O-Rama Forums

Think I can get away with four slices on these?

bhays

My questions is about megatree channels, but I have to give some background to ask it, bear with me, please.

I am going to change my eight small trees that surround my z-tree from two segment z-tree style to mega tree style for 2010.

attachment.php?id=10828

They are around five feet tall. They are mirrored in two sets, in other words, two on each side are on the same channels (diagonal). I use five colors on everything in the display, so 20 channels total for all eight trees.

Now I want to do some mega-tree type effects with them, but they are still just for accent to the big tree, which is going to 16 segments horizontal next year rather than four. My plan was to do four slices on each tree, 5 colors each slice, so 40 channels total for all eight trees. At a height of five feet, do you think I can get away with just four slices? Again, I am not looking to do super duper megatree effects, just basic rotation and color fades as they rotate. I am trying to scrimp on channels here a little as I am at 17 controllers already and I am adding 16 5 color mini-trees, and 60 more channels on the big tree already)

(I might actually put the original 20 channels back in as well as horizontal segments, so I can do the old and new)

I think I am following you...

Here is my experience, for whatever it is worth. I have a 6 channel radar-type 14 foot mega-tree (single color) and it looks fairly good. Anything less and I wouldn't be able to tell it is spinning very well. I would think it would be the same on a shorter tree too--4 channels would just be quadrants. Yes it would look fuller since it is shorter, but still doubt it would spin well. Now if you did "up and over" type slices, I would think it would look good, since it would give you 4 wedges on each half of the tree.
I have just found that on the spins I have to not overlap the fades as much as you would be able to do with more channels.

You can see some of the videos here: http://vimeo.com/8052473

Surfing4Dough wrote:

I think I am following you...

Here is my experience, for whatever it is worth. I have a 6 channel radar-type 14 foot mega-tree (single color) and it looks fairly good. Anything less and I wouldn't be able to tell it is spinning very well. I would think it would be the same on a shorter tree too--4 channels would just be quadrants. Yes it would look fuller since it is shorter, but still doubt it would spin well. Now if you did "up and over" type slices, I would think it would look good, since it would give you 4 wedges on each half of the tree.
I have just found that on the spins I have to not overlap the fades as much as you would be able to do with more channels.

You can see some of the videos here: http://vimeo.com/8052473

I'm sorry, I should have noted that. We are talking about up and over slices, so eight total slices per tree. Four independently controlled.

bhays wrote:

I'm sorry, I should have noted that. We are talking about up and over slices, so eight total slices per tree. Four independently controlled.

I think that would look great then.