Light-O-Rama Forums

Questions about LOR

Guest guest

Hi,

I'm really wanting to computerize our lights this year but would like a few questions answered that i've been wondering.

• If i was to buy LOR (would only be 16 channel to start off with), is this is the only thing i would need?: http://store.lightorama.com/ba16chpa.html
  • I've read threads here where people are saying that you can make your own? What bits can you make yourself?
  • How many boxes of lights can you fit on a channel? Considering it was just the duller 0.1w 260 pcs set of minilights?
  • I suppose function type lights (chase, twinkle functions, etc) shouldn't be used with LOR?

Anything else i should know?

Thanks

tabletennisman wrote:

Hi,

I'm really wanting to computerize our lights this year but would like a few questions answered that i've been wondering.

• If i was to buy LOR (would only be 16 channel to start off with), is this is the only thing i would need?: http://store.lightorama.com/ba16chpa.html

• I've read threads here where people are saying that you can make your own? What bits can you make yourself?
  • How many boxes of lights can you fit on a channel? Considering it was just the duller 0.1w 260 pcs set of minilights?
  • I suppose function type lights (chase, twinkle functions, etc) shouldn't be used with LOR?

Anything else i should know?

Thanks

1) Yes, this is all you would need to purchase. Please note that using *only* this hardware you will need to be connected to a computer to run musical sequences. (Musical sequences are those with music synchronized to lights. Animation sequences are simply animation, with no music.)

2) Two ways to 'make your own.' A) Buy the Hobbyist controllers - You supply the enclosure and cords. :P Buy the DIY kits - Same as A) but you have to assemble the controllers.

3) For a long winded answer, look here. The short version, you can have a maximum of 8amps per channel. However, you can not go over 15amps per side. (There are two 'sides' in the controller you are wanting to purchase.

4) Not saying they shouldn't be ... but you can't control that little box with LOR. In theory you could leave the strands on the setting you want, and fire that off with LOR.

If you purchase that package, it should be all you need.

• I've read threads here where people are saying that you can make your own?
If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, you can either purchase the CTB16 kit or the hobbiest kit. Dan will send you either a preassembled board that you will wire and mount to a container, or he will send you a kit that has all parts for you to solder together
  • What bits can you make yourself?

As much as your ability allows you - you will have to wire it yourself

You need to watch your amp load on the channels to be sure not to exceed load ratings.

LOR will allow you to chase twinkle, etc... as your heart desires. Some fading issues have been discovered with LED lights due to their design.

Hello T.T.Man

I would highly suggest reading every LOR topic in the LOR forum (your homework assignment). There are answers there that you didn't even have questions for. Pretty much everything can be found within the past 6 to 8 months. And don't forget about the LOR wiki Don has. Lots of good stuff there.

Enjoy,

Tom

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Santas Helper wrote:

Hello T.T.Man

I would highly suggest reading every LOR topic in the LOR forum

Enjoy,

Tom
Over the past day i've read nearly ever single thread! I think i must know pretty much everything now :laughing:

There's still one thing I'm unsure of. How to work out the amps each string of lights puts out.

Usually, to work out the amperage, the formula is amperage=watts/voltage

so, amps=26 (max)/240v (from australia)
=0.108

Surely i can't fit 73 boxes of lights a channel & 280 boxes per 16 channels...or can it? :shock:

The majority of the lights are mini lights and are 0.1w per bulb and 260 bulbs total in each string.

Thanks for helpin out :(