Light-O-Rama Forums

Help, Channel 6 will not turn off!

Guest guest

I have just finished number 10 of my LOR 16 channel kits, all works great, except channel 6 on the fourth board. It stays at about 50% intensity and will not turn off. Whne it is triggered by the software, it goes to 100%, but will not turn off. I have checked and rechecked all of the connections, solder joints, etc. with nothing noted. I have an E-mail to the LOR info line, but just wondered if anyone else has had this happen.

I too must admit, Dan has really got it together up there, I have bent his ear twice on the phone before buying these things. Now I have this stuff in my hands and the kits were no problem to build (except apparently one, but I think it is something rediculasly simple). Again, thanks, LOR for an awsome product and unbelievable support!!

Doug Newsom

Central Florida

It's likely that its one of two things.

1. The TRIAC is bad. Does it get hotter or colder than another with exactly the same load?

3. The opto isolator is bad.

I think that the TRIAC is the most suspect for this symptom though a slim chance that its the opto.

Just be careful when checking the temperature on any board components. If you do wish to check temperatures, run the board for a while and then unplug it before checking.

Tom

Is it not turning off in the sequence editor? I found I had one channel that did not turn off properly in the sequence editor. When I ran it under a test show - it worked fine.

Just something to check before hitting the "return to Dan" button.

I am sure this will be addressed in LORII.

CraigG

drn1377 wrote:

all works great, except channel 6 on the fourth board. It stays at about 50% intensity and will not turn off. When it is triggered by the software, it goes to 100%, but will not turn off.

Doug Newsom

Central Florida

Doug, see my message I had with a bad channel 11 that did basically the same thing. I had microscopic dusty stuff between the triac leads. Blew it out with compressed air.

It seems like the triac gate is getting a little "tickle".... It could be a bad triac, opto or it could be contanimation on the board letting this "tickle" of current through. Check and clean the connections on the opto and triac and see if that helps. If not then we can send you some replacement parts.