Light-O-Rama Forums

Lights don't fade properly...

jimswinder

Quick question for you electricians out there...

My icicle lights are not fading quite right (very jerky). At first I thought it was a load problem, but I have 15 strands end to end.

Then I thought perhaps it was a polarization problem because to use my SPT2 alligator clips, I had to file down the fat prong in order for it to fit into the end of the icicle light female end (as the slots were both the same size).

Could this be causing my lights not to fade correctly...because the polarization is crossed somewhere?

Because when I first received my LOR units and was testing them, I had the same icicle lights (though just one stand) plugged in, and they faded just fine.

EDIT: Sheesh...sometimes I ask the DUMBEST questions!! Just realized it would be no different using my homemade ext cords than using the strand of lights and turning the plug 180 degrees and plugging it back in.

Yup. He's absolutely correct. The more LEDS you have on a circuit, the worse the fading becomes. You'd think that it would be the other way around but it isn't.

I had the same problem you were having. Single strings on my trees were fine. But the 6 strings together on the house eaves weren't fading at all. So I had to plug in a single strand of regular incandescants to each LED circuit and it works like a charm.

-=coasterbp

Thanks guys - I learned something also. I, too, thought the more LED's on a circuit the better - not the other way around. But that definitely explains some of the peculiar things I've seen in the yard. Apparently reds are more affected than greens for some reason, because I have some trees with the exact same number of red and green LED's each all on two circuits - one for red and one for green. The reds were fading horribly and the greens were okay before I added snubbers to each circuit.

does a single C9 on the same channel as a lot of LED's still fix this issue? im making new mini trees for next yeat that are LED.. and I plan on putting a single C-9 incandescent light at the top of each tree to help this issue..
-Christopher