Light-O-Rama Forums

Building sequences with large channel counts

Guest guest

Moved out of DIY kit tips topic. That topic should be for tips on how to build kits. :)

JJ CY wrote:

Iam getting ready to put togather a 208 chanel show. Iam worred about the time to put the music togather being my first time. Will take any help you can give. THANKS JJ

tsmith35 wrote:
Before you put together a 208 channel show, practice with a couple 16 channel shows. It may be fun to create a "mini-show" in your basement or garage, just to see how you like it and to get a bit of experience. Once you nail that down, work on sequencing some building blocks... for example, set up a small (small enough to fit inside and using perhaps 1 string of lights per channel) 12 or 16 channel tree and work on chaser routines. Once you have practice with a variety of individual elements, working on a larger show will be less daunting.

Tom

JJ CY:

To expand on the email I replied to this morning ... tsmith35 is right, it might be best to practice with some smaller sequences first, before trying to program all 208 channels.

Some other quick thoughts of mine....

1) Try to break down the sequence in your head first. Have an idea what you want your sequence to look like first. Don't try to create it on the fly.

2) Consider working on it in sections. If you have a clump of trees, bushes, etc., program your sequence in sections such as these. Don't try and program up and down the sequence. Work across the sequence via sections of your display.

I have found several items that aid in controlling 200 plus channels.

1. Multiple beat tracks. I use on about every 40 channels.

2. 32" lcd monitor.

3. Time - as channels increase the time to sequence grows exponentially.

4. We use a 16 channel display simulator. This give us a pretty good idea how various parts of the will look.

Bill Foley wrote:

4. We use a 16 channel display simulator.  This give us a pretty good idea how various parts of the will look.

Bill,

Do you have any pictures of your 16 channel simulator? I getting ready to put one together as well.

Jeremy

Jeremy Wiles wrote:
Bill,

Do you have any pictures of your 16 channel simulator? I getting ready to put one together as well.

Jeremy

Ofcourse- but in best "almost did-it-right" fashion you must view it sideways..........
Maybe I should describe the board:

1. 15 channels of C9s

2. Rope light 4 wire x 3 bulb or 3 bulb - 3 channel chasing

3. 8 channels for rotating star - each set of mini lights is on its own channel.

4. Servo control on 2 channel - on servo is a standard RC model - while the other is a modified continuously rotating, so it works like a variable-speed reversible motor.

Attached files 59333=3607-LORSimulator.jpg

Bill,

That's very cool. Thanks for posting that! Do you find a lot of timing differences between the simulator and the animation screen in LOR? In the past I've always just used the animation screen, but would like some tighter control...

J.

I did one a little different. I have a mock up of my house, I took a hi res pic of it and then tiled it to fit a 3 1/2 by 4 foot coro board printed it out and glued it to the coro. then put all the lights on it buy punching holes threw it with a screw driver of the same size as the mini lights.Then use 32 channels at the same time to do the house and bushes in front and the side walk it would be easy to add lights to represent arches in the drive way or over the walk way or any thing you have.You don't have to have pics of the actually wire frame or blowup just use a light to mark the spot.So when that light comes on that is equal to that wire frame or what ever turning on

http://www.biosciences2.utoledo.edu/xmas/pics/DSCN1447.JPG

I sure hope this has helped

Dale L