Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Control

Guest guest

Hello all!

I posted something a couple of days ago asking about video sync with LOR and mentioned in passing that I had developed a way to get DMX control synced with LOR. It seems to have generated a lot of interest so I thought I would post what I had done so others could use it as well. These instructions aren't real detailed yet but they are a jumping off point and if everyone likes them then we can detail further.

First things first, the method I'm going to explain here couples DMX control with LOR. To the best of my knowledge there is currently no way of doing DMX control from inside LOR. Second, I have no affiliation with any of the products I'm going to recommend here other than being a happy customer. OK, enough of the disclaimers - on to the fun stuff!

[align=center]DMX CONTROL TECHNIQUE

[/align][align=left]One feature that many LOR users have asked for is the ability to use some of the more advanced DMX fixtures like moving head gobos, etc with LOR. After spending entirely too much time trying to figure out how to get this done it hit me one night when I couldn't sleep.

[/align][align=center]SMPTE FOR TIMING
[/align]
Most DMX control hardware is capable of syncing with an SMPTE time signal. This signal is nothing more than a series of sounds that tell the hardware exactly what time in the show it currently is. It is capable of very tight control (around 30 frames per second). There are a number of very expensive pieces of hardware that can generate this signal.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't like spending lots of money unless it's really needed so I started looking for alternatives. When it comes right down to it all we need is a copy of a sound file that contains the SMPTE sound code and a way to mix it with the soundtrack coming from LOR.

I found a very small and simple piece of software that does just that. You simply input a start time and stop time and it generates a mono wav file that contains the SMPTE sound code for that time frame. The free little piece of software can be downloaded here:

http://fl.hw.cz/constrc/midi/smptegen.exe

OK, so now we can generate a sound file. We need something to control with it!

[align=center]BLUELIGHT DMX CONTROLLER
[/align]
The next component we need is a controller and some software that can sync a show to the SMPTE code we've generated. DMX controllers can be very expensive. I've found one that's very inexpensive (by comparison), comes with good software, and doesn't require soldering.

A company called "Innovate Show Controls" makes a controller called the Bluelight X1 mini. They sell it online for $299. It comes complete with software to create a show and can control up to 512 DMX channels.

To purchase the controller visit their website here:

http://www.innovateshowcontrols.com/

[align=center]PUTTING THE PIECES TOGETHER
[/align]
In order to couple this to LOR all we have to do is think about all the pieces and how they interact. LOR uses internal timing to control the lights on it's controllers. The Bluelight uses SMPTE. If we take a piece of audio editing software and put our soundtrack on just the left channel, and the SMPTE wav file we created on the right then we've got the ability to take the two systems and match them together.

Now, when you first do this and hit play you're going to hear the SMPTE soundcode. Obviously we don't want that. What we need to do is create a cable that takes only the left channel and sends it to our speakers or FM transmitter. Then we take the right channel and split it off to send to the Bluelight controller. I built one of these cables using some parts from Radio Shack in about 4 minutes. If anyone wants details I can post them.

Now you can use LOR to program the show and the actions the lights plugged in to LOR controllers should perform just like normal. You can then take the software supplied with your Bluelight controller to program what the DMX lights should do.

Fire up the bluelight software, tell it to sync with SMPTE and leave it running. Then program your LOR show start and stop times just like normal.

When you fire up the show you'll see both LOR and DMX controlled lights working in unison! Ta - da!

OK - I'm sure this post will leave some of you with questions so - Let's discuss! I've tested this method and it works but I'm always open to suggestions or improvements. It's a start and it works but I'm sure the collective minds here can improve upon it.

Scott, great tutorial! One question...The cable you made puts everything on the left audio channel, so I would assume no audio would come out of the right speaker if set in stereo mode?

True, unless you change one thing. You can "join" the two sides of the cable that plugs into your transmitter or receiver so that you get "stereo". It's just the same sounds coming from both sides. I'll try to get home and take some pics and write up some more detailed info on the cable I made.

Any more questions just shout!

Ok let's talk DMX.

I've been interested in this type of control for years. I don't have any (can't afford it), but ever since my college DJ'ing years, I am fascinated with professional light shows.... hence my interest in LOR!

Recently during my research I came across the following software. For some reason, the download of the software seems to be free, but I'm guessing they make their money selling the computer interface. If you want to 'play' with DMX I believe this software is great. It lets you get familiar with different fixtures and their potential settings. It even has a 3d renditioning of how the final scenes will look.

http://www.elationlighting.com/product.asp?ProductIDNumber=1288&cat=PC%20Lighting%20Control

As to LOR interface. If you have a good sound card, there may be a way to make use of the surround channels for the Timecode. I believe there are multi-track audio programs out there that would let you put the timecode on such a track. Just a thought.

I am also interested in what DMX support Dan is going to have with LORII. I've seen some discussions, but nothing in concrete as to how it would work.

BTW - Excellent writeup on your method.

I was thinking about this today, and thought that maybe a srround sound card could be used (like MichaelC's idea). However, this idea does not involve LOR at all. I found this program which will allow me to play a WAV or MP3 file based on the time of day. It could probably be assigned to a certain channel on the sound card, so that full stereo sound can be used for the LOR program and the DMX hardware will be controlled without annoying sounds playing. The only problem I see is that you would have to adjust the timings in two programs instead of one if you were to change your schedule. Thoughts? Ideas?

Greg

If you had a surround sound card, the encoding for surround sound channels (ie smpt) should be in the file itself and not the LOR software. I believe LOR just plays the existing sound files through whatever hardware you have.

That being said, I wonder if the surround sound signals will be 'remembered' and passed along through LOR.

awesome thread Scott... I too have been spending sleepless nights trying to figure this out (ever since committing to purchase 2xAmerican DJ Swivel Beam II's). I have been playing with software from Enttec (lightfactory) http://www.enttec.com/lightfactory.php

This software has the potential not only to trigger on smpte, but pc line in frequency as well... I have great visions of how to use this software with my halloween setup also. DMX has been a love affair of mine ever since I dj'd in college. The pc software is coming along very nicely.

I will share as my experience evolves...

So let me see if I have this right... You create an audio track that is essentially the time line for your DMX control. Then combine both left and right channels of your sequence WAV on the left channel. Then add the time code to the right channel. Create a cable to separate the two channels so the left channel goes to your two FM transmitter RCA jacks, and the right feeds a DMX controller...

If this is correct, you lose the stereo separation but "Oh Well" It seems like a very inexpensive way to use DMX to me.

Thank You Scott, it sounds like a really good idea. I really wish I had some $$$ to toss at it...

jeff

MichaelC wrote:

Ok let's talk DMX.

Recently during my research I came across the following software. For some reason, the download of the software seems to be free, but I'm guessing they make their money selling the computer interface. If you want to 'play' with DMX I believe this software is great. It lets you get familiar with different fixtures and their potential settings. It even has a 3d renditioning of how the final scenes will look.

http://www.elationlighting.com/product.asp?ProductIDNumber=1288&cat=PC%20Lighting%20Control

I am a lighting designer and a professional DJ. I used to work for High End Systems, who is one of the top designer/manufactures next to Vari-Light. The program that Michael mentioned above is indeed great, especially for it's price. Martin's Light Jockey is a much nice package but of course about twice the price. So here is a little breakdown on DMX.

First off the product Michael listed above is not really an elation product, they just resell it. Here is the link to the manufacture's website. http://www.nicolaudie.com they are very helpfull and quick with any questions you way have.

Second, If you just want to start learning about DMX then there is a very inexpensive way to do this. http://www.enttec.com sells a basic USB to DMX interface for $55.00. There are also many links there to free software that will work with there unit. I recommend FreeStyler.

Then if you need any DMX lighting go to www.chauvetlighting.com and look at all of there products. Shoot me an E-mail if you are intrested in anything and I will sell it below advertised pricing. I am a dealer, but do not make my living that way so I can sell for whatever I want.

Brian

Brian:

I've got 3 questions for you.

1)If you have the computer control, are all the USB to DMX controllers basically the same, or do you need the specific controller for the specific software you use? (ex. do I need to buy the elation hardware to work with the elation (nicolaudie) software?

2) For fixtures such as Chauvet (Q-series; Moonflowers; Scanners; Scorpion lasers, etc) do you just need the USB-DMx converter, or do you also need DMX Dimmer packs for them. My understanding (I think) is that these units connect directly to the DMX (ie. no dimmer pack necessary). I would think dimmer packs are for more 'tradional' basic fixtures such as Par cans, etc. Am I correct in my thinking?

3) I see many different types of fixtures that perform the same basic operations (moving, color changing, gobo changing), but there are many different names for these types of fixtures. Just looking at the chauvet line, in the q-series, there are scanners, rolls and spots, but to me they all look like they perform the same function. Are there differences in these. Specifically what is the definition/distinctionbetween a scanner and a moving head? They seem to have the same functions.

thx

Michael

Scott

This is a really good idea on how to sync a DMX program with LOR.

I am guessing that if you had several different songs you would need to combine them all together and make one large audio file and then lay down the smpte time code to the single audio file.

While I was typing this another idea hit me and I am sure you even thought of it. I guess you could have other songs start at different times on the smpte track. Such as below.

Song1 00:00:01 - 00:04:55
Song2 00:05:00 - 00:09:55

This way you could still shuffle your songs around and since each song had a different time period, then the DMX program would still play correctly.

===

This method seems like a really good way to sync another DMX program with LOR. Even if LORII does come out with DMX control this may be a better way to do it if the DMX programming in LOR may not have as many features as other DMX software out there.

LightsByGreg wrote:

OK, I have downloaded freestyler and am looking at purchasing the enntec open usb dmx interface. My question is, will smpte work with freestyler?

Thanks A Lot,
Greg

Greg, No I do not believe that it will, however since it is Open Source they are always updating and looking for feature requests.

Brian

MichaelC wrote:

Brian:

I've got 3 questions for you.

1)If you have the computer control, are all the USB to DMX controllers basically the same, or do you need the specific controller for the specific software you use? (ex. do I need to buy the elation hardware to work with the elation (nicolaudie) software?

2) For fixtures such as Chauvet (Q-series; Moonflowers; Scanners; Scorpion lasers, etc) do you just need the USB-DMx converter, or do you also need DMX Dimmer packs for them. My understanding (I think) is that these units connect directly to the DMX (ie. no dimmer pack necessary). I would think dimmer packs are for more 'tradional' basic fixtures such as Par cans, etc. Am I correct in my thinking?

3) I see many different types of fixtures that perform the same basic operations (moving, color changing, gobo changing), but there are many different names for these types of fixtures. Just looking at the chauvet line, in the q-series, there are scanners, rolls and spots, but to me they all look like they perform the same function. Are there differences in these. Specifically what is the definition/distinctionbetween a scanner and a moving head? They seem to have the same functions.

thx

Michael

MIchael,

Question 1: Each manufacture has their own standard and way that they build their DMX interface. That is why the software is free, because it will not do you anygood without their interface. However since the Enttec USB is Open Source there are people writing plugins, so it is possible that support for these other programs will become available.

Question 2: You are correct. Each instrument uses DMX to controll it's own features. The only differance is how many channels each fixture uses.

Question 3: There are many differant fixtures that do the same thing as others, even within the Chauvet line. What you really want to look for is:

A: That the fixture has a seperate GOBO & COLOR wheel. This will allow you to use any combination of the two. There are a lot of fixtures that combine these onto one wheel and you will be stuck with what they give you.

B: A decent output wattage. I like 250 watts

The differance between a scanner and a Barrel or roller is, a scanner is a single mirror that is going to reflect the color/gobo coming out of the fixture and allow you to move that beam whereever you program it.

A barrel or roller has a barrel that is covered with small mirrors and it will take what color/gobo comes out of the fixture and break it into multiple beams that will spin and move right to left.

My favorite fixture is the Intimadator. You can not beat the quality and flexability for the price. I also like the Omni 250C for a color changer. They are both 250 watts.

I hope this helped if not ask away.

Brian

I know that Sound Forge will do it. I am not sure if Audacity will or not, but it is free and a pretty powerfull program so I would give it a shot. If I get a chance I will look at Audacity and let you know.

Brian