Light-O-Rama Forums

Converting multifunction strand to use LOR

Guest guest

I know this has been covered before, but I can't find it for the life of me...

I am contemplating converting a bunch of multifunction strands to use LOR instead of the controllers that come with it. Is there any "gotchas" or details I need to know?

I understand how the multifunction strands work. there will be 3-4 hots and a common neutral.

So could I just put each hot to the hot connectors on the LOR box (3-4channels), and then tie all the neutrals together to the 1 common neutral on the strand???

***NOTE: Anyone reading this REMEMBER, I am asking a question. Don't do this until someone confirms that this is a safe proper course of action...

Thanks,

Jeremy

Jeremy Wiles wrote:

I know this has been covered before, but I can't find it for the life of me...

I am contemplating converting a bunch of multifunction strands to use LOR instead of the controllers that come with it. Is there any "gotchas" or details I need to know?

I understand how the multifunction strands work. there will be 3-4 hots and a common neutral.

So could I just put each hot to the hot connectors on the LOR box (3-4channels), and then tie all the neutrals together to the 1 common neutral on the strand???

***NOTE: Anyone reading this REMEMBER, I am asking a question. Don't do this until someone confirms that this is a safe proper course of action...

Thanks,

Jeremy

That's basically it. The one thing to remember is that you MUST keep your neutrals straight, by using polarized plugs. Make sure the neutral for each channel is connected to the wide prong on the plug. If hots and neutrals get mixed up (by getting a plug flipped around or miswiring) you can blow up a channel on your LOR board! This happened to me one time with my home-grown controller -- blew a triac, which I then had to replace.

-Tim

Jeremy Wiles wrote:

Don't forget to save those old controllers. If you don't have a use for them then you can pass them on to other PCers. It seems like people are looking for them fairly often.

TED