Light-O-Rama Forums

How do you place your units around the yard?

Guest guest

First time with LOR, wanting to place my showtime controllers around the yard as inobtrusively as possible, and not sure quite how to do that. I know I have to get them off the ground, but not sure how high they have to be or what to put them on. Any ideas or thoughts from those of you more experienced? Anything wrong with just painting some pallets or something and laying them flat on those? Or maybe plastic boxes or something if they have to be a bit higher? Do I need to elevate one side of whatever I use to facilitate drainage, or does hanging the chords over the edge do the trick? I'm basically just trying to keep them out of water from melting snow or heavy rain, right? Not necessarily above the snow line?

TIA

Dave Sanderson wrote:

First time with LOR, wanting to place my showtime controllers around the yard as inobtrusively as possible, and not sure quite how to do that. I know I have to get them off the ground, but not sure how high they have to be or what to put them on. Any ideas or thoughts from those of you more experienced? Anything wrong with just painting some pallets or something and laying them flat on those? Or maybe plastic boxes or something if they have to be a bit higher? Do I need to elevate one side of whatever I use to facilitate drainage, or does hanging the chords over the edge do the trick? I'm basically just trying to keep them out of water from melting snow or heavy rain, right? Not necessarily above the snow line?

TIA

Not sure this is the recommended way, but I just lay mine on the ground, with a board under the "high" side to make sure water doesn't get up through the bottom of the box. It's worked well for me for 3 seasons now...

Do note that we don't get much rain here in December, so it's mostly snow and freezing rain I'm fighting... But they've been out in some good rains too...

-Tim

This is from LOR:

Mount the LOR160xW so that the pigtail outlets are at least 1 ft off the ground. The unit must be mounted with the wires pointed down. Keep the unit out of areas with heavy splashing of water or direct contact with forced water flow such as irrigation sprinklers.

Anchor communication cables using wire ties to a stable point such the top mounting tab. Place a small piece of duct tape over the hole in the bottom of the unit once communication cables have been installed. Do not seal entire unit with tape. It needs to breath.

Michael B

I do the wood cutouts and have several different size toy soldiers that I use sometimes. I havve thought about building a little guard house with the front doorway painted black to look like the inside and have the back so it will open up to allow access to the control box and lines.

Or build a present box and wrap it with weather resistant wrapping paper and build an access door in the back uo it. I saw where someone else did this to conceal there power boxes on a TV show last year.

i was afraid of theft so i drilled 2 holes in my foundation and used pressure anchors with bolts so they get bolted to my house. you would have to bring a tool kit to steal them. also under the overhang of the house so the box dosent even get splashed when it rains

I picked up a could metal fence posts from Menards. They have feet that allow you to put them into the ground deep enough for them to be solid. Each leg has holes which lined up nicely with the wholes on the boxes themselves. I'll have to get pictures and post them so you can see. This allows me to put them anywhere.

I used two methods. I built a heavy duty wooden sign that is about 2 feet off the ground. Unit was bolted to the sign. The other way was pretty much the same as Tim's, high side up and the entire contoller placed in a white garbage bag and loosely tied on to keep the bag on but which allowed air flow. Kept the units high and dry and hidden (snow cover here). No problems with either method.

I place a board underneath the unit, lay the unit on the board on its back side, and then cover it with a plastic storage box that gets staked down. I've never had any problems and we get a lot of rain each year.

• 1 year later...

I am placing one on my roof (slanted so it do not get soaked) and under the eave as much as possible. I figure if they want to steal that one they have to get a ladder and climb near my bedroom window. :D

The others are going to become presents or something like that.

I use whatever is available; if nothing is near to attach the box to, I pound a 4 ft. "U" channel metal fence post into the ground and attach the controller with screws through the holes in the fence post.

Mine have been in 2 places now. Last year it was mounted to the house. This year it's mounted to the back side of the Front porch railing. It's all about the extension cords. I think that presents are probably the best way to go.
I would also think that you might want to consider a little air flow under and around the present to help control moisture.

-Evan