Light-O-Rama Forums

Wiring Question - Custom or Premade cords?

Guest guest

First year doing a show. Plan on having 64 channels and each channel will control 1 tree.

I am trying to decide If I should just buy the Showtime LOR (premade in boxes with plug ends) and use normal extension cords or the Hobby LOR (Pre Made Circuit board, put in case) and make my own extension cords.

I am guessing that it might be better to make my own cords since I could buy a big spool and cut them the exact length I need (All channels will be going to individual trees). I am thinking of using 16ga wire for the channels.

Anybody know any good sources online for bare wire and plug ends that work good for this kind of project. I have started searching online for a few sources but thought that some people may have found some good sources that I may not know about. I am not sure if direct links to other web stores are allowed, and if they are not, please PM me.

Also if you have any other suggestions (like what kind/brand plug ends work the best) or any other tips that would be appreciated.

-NewOrder

You'll want SPT2 in either 16 or 18 gauge depending on the load and distance, and you can use vampire plugs at the ends. The 18/2 SPT2 or 16/2 SPT2 is available from various sources, but it's hard to predict pricing with copper prices all over the board. I believe many folks get vampire plugs from Action Lighting, but I'm sure others will chime in soon...

Tom

One thing to keep in mind if your are going the "cut to length" for your LOR pigtails, These thing can become rather unwieldy when it is storage time. I tried that once and became frustrated with the tangling and weight when trying to put the display. It also limits you flexibility from year to year. This year Nancy has decided to eliminate one color on the minitree chorus and add 2 trees. I am sure glad I use short pigtails and bins of light duty cords in 6', 9', and 15 foot.

Oh yes, I do use several thousand feet of SPT2 with vampires but mostly for custom lengths.

IMHO

Thanks for the suggestions so far (this is a great resource). I live near the base of a mountain in Utah and we get several feet of snow. I was thinking that wiring the cords directly to the boards would reduce the chance of water getting into the plugs (a problem we have had before). I could see the frustration though in trying to store all the wire along with the box since it would be hardwired.

I am thinking now though that I might just buy the Premade Showtime Units and have the pigtails go into another plastic box and then run custom cords from there.

The SPT2 wire is looking pretty good with vampire plugs.

neworder wrote:

I was thinking that wiring the cords directly to the boards would reduce the chance of water getting into the plugs (a problem we have had before).
Ahh, the proverbial water issue-I cable tie any questionable connections on short 10 ga wire stakes. The rolls of top wire for cyclone fencing find many uses around the display. Now is there is any discharge to electrons they go directly to ground causing the worm to rise to the surface. This provides an instant source to the problem and --- its time to go fishing. JUST KIDDING, Dan Hall--before you send me a PM.