Light-O-Rama Forums

One Channel Not Working

Guest guest

Where should I start when looking into a problem I'm having with my 1st DIY kit that has a channel that is not working?

I used a multimeter to check voltage by applying the test leads to the top of the terminal screws. Only channel 6 is not registering.

I know I need to check my solder connections but I have to take it ouf of my enclosure first (rubbermaid container) so I have to wait until I have some time to really check this out (I'm out of town now until Monday).

I was just wondering if there were some obvious areas I should look at on my board when I begin investigating the issue.

Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff,

You pretty well nailed the "first" thing to do in checking all your joints.

The next thing I would do is work backwards from the channel 6 triac. Make sure it is oriented properly, then do the same for the opto-isolator (the litle white IC's).

My money is on the opto being flipped. You would have seen the triac problem right off when you tried to mount to the heat sync. Check the orientation.

I dont have this kit but usually pin 1 of IC's are marked with a dot or an indent. Make sure it (referring to the opto here) is oriented like the others on that side of the board.

When you figure out the problem, let us know. This sounds like an interesting addition to the LOR WIKI.

-- Bob

If you understand a little bit about how SSR circuits work, its helpful. Maybe Dan or someone else can tell you which pins to check -- for example, the control line coming from the micro to the opto should display about +5V. From there, the opto should trigger the triac, etc.

It would be helpful to know if the opto is getting the control signal or not. If it is, the problem lies somewhere after it. If no, the problem is somewhere between the micro and the opto (not sure if LOR uses some sort of transistor or transistor array as a buffer between those two...)

-Tim

tfischer wrote:

It would be helpful to know if the opto is getting the control signal or not. If it is, the problem lies somewhere after it.
-Tim

The middle pin, (2) should be +5 - diode drop - series resistor when off. Anywhere from 4.3. On, it should be near zero. Do both tests. I'd start there. If this works, Opto is in right, logic is working, but triac is not triggering. Probably bad or wrong gate resistor. If this switching does not take place on pin 2, it is in the triggering logic or the opto is backwards. I generally try not probing on the triac side of the opto when on.

Roadrat wrote:

tfischer wrote:

It would be helpful to know if the opto is getting the control signal or not. If it is, the problem lies somewhere after it.
-Tim

The middle pin, (2) should be +5 - diode drop - series resistor when off. Anywhere from 4.3. On, it should be near zero. Do both tests. I'd start there. If this works, Opto is in right, logic is working, but triac is not triggering. Probably bad or wrong gate resistor. If this switching does not take place on pin 2, it is in the triggering logic or the opto is backwards. I generally try not probing on the triac side of the opto when on.

Because we pulse the triacs you will not see +5 volts at the opto. Tim and Roadrat are on the right track. With the unit unplugged and your meter set on continuity you will trace back from the triac to processor and find the gap.

All the opto isolator's were all oriented correctly.

I tried using a multimeter using continuity to test the circuits but was unable to pinpoint anything in particular.

I did notice some of the solder points may not be 100% so I went over the triac and opto isolator again. While I was at it, I touched up a few others even though they seemed to work already.

This corrected my problem and all 16 channels are now working!:waycool: