I have software, hardware and lights and sequences from others. I want
to have a go at my own sequence building but already becoming
frustrated as there is lots of info on how to all the different parts
on there own but not much on how to put all the different jobs
together in a efficient order. Secondly I can't quite get my head
around how to "set up the sequencing proforma "as it were so I can
just copy my set up and add music then start sequencing. Thanks
Jim.......

One thing to remember is work backwards. Make sure that the number of lights are not over the amps. or electrical available. I think it is best to start with a short song, like two minutes. Make a new seq, add song, use the tapper ,and or the beat, Use the play at 1/2 speed or 1/4 speed, and go from there. Most people say it takes about 8 hours or so for each minute of song. Just have fun with it. It will all work out in the end.

It's kinda like eating an elephant. There are several ways to go about it and no matter were you start, it takes some time. Here is what I do...

First, plan out your display. Channel 1 for left bush, channel 2 for right bush, channel 3 for red roof outline, etc.

Start the sequence editor and create an animation sequence using the appropriate number of channels. Go into the channel property grid (tools) and edit the name, color, device type, unit and circuit. You can print this out for future reference (like when you are outside setting everything up). You can also do this by just clicking on the channel name. I prefer to use the channel property grid. As a side note, it is a very good idea to label all the controllers and the cords from each controller.

Once all your channels are configured, click on the animation icon and build your animator. You can add a picture of your house if you would like.

Once the channels and animator are to your liking, click edit, Export Channel Configuration. Give it a name and save. This is your template for everything else you want to do. This template can be changed as needed. You can also have more than one configuration. Currently, I use 3. 1 for Christmas, 1 for Halloween at home and 1 for Halloween while camping.

Close the animation, no need to save.

To start with someone else's sequence:

Open the sequence. Make the appropriate media file association (edit, media file). This will add the music.

Right click on the first channel and select add multiple channels above, and select number of channels in your configuration. Then click edit, import channel configuration, your saved configuration.

This will put your channels on top of the donor sequence. From here you can cut and paste from the donor to yours. When done, delete the donor channels or set device type to no device via the channel property grid (this will help eliminate any possible conflicts).

Save as and name as appropriate.

Note, it is possible to just reassign the donor channels to your channels using the Channel Property grid or clicking the channel name.

Using either of these methods will allow you to retain your animation.

Hope that helps. For us non-writers, it's easy to think and visualize than to put into words.

Thanks Pete and Jeff, It's as clear as murky water now (rather than mud). Just to clarify it's easier to set up your own config in Animation sequence to use as your template for your musical sequences. Because when trying to set it up in musical sequence it always required a media file before you could save it so when you went to another song you would have to import the sequence called "template" and then copy your next song.

Jim.......

What I'm trying to work out is how can I keep a template of all my channels once I've renamed them all in relation to what they are assigned too. eg stairway arch white 1,stairway arch white 2 etc etc. also is there an easier way to set up the channels ie some sort of auto complete/populate function like in MS Excell

Thanks in anticipation

Jim.....

[align=right]Yes, when you export your configuration you are, in effect, saving a template. You can use this for both animation and musical sequences. [/align]
There really is no shortcut to auto complete this. Just do it once and your done (until you add channels!)

I thought I read somewhere that you add a controller say with 16 channels.....you do the 1st one then it sompletes the 16.........which leads to my next question with Cosmic colour ribbon........do you have to add all the 155 odd channels one at a time??

LOR will add the channels when you add a controller and assign them but it still will not name them or choose a color or draw them in the animation. There really is not shortcut for any of that. But at least you should only have to do it once.