Light-O-Rama Forums

extension cord

brandnio

Hey, I'm fairly new to this and I'm now in need of some extension cord. I was thinking of just buying store bought, but it looks like that can get expensive and there would be a lot of extra cord. I've been trying to find bulk extension cord so I can have custom lengths and what not, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

So, should I just raid a store of all their extension cords, or is there some place online that I'm overlooking as far as bulk extension cords? I did some searching and I saw people talking about 1000' spools of SPT cord for like $80 bucks, but those posts didn't say where they bought them from.

I got my spt cord at the home depot in the electrical isle. comes in 250' 500' 1,000' rolls do not know the prices off hand. One thing i do is i like to use the store bought cords also so after Christmas when you can get 40' and 75' holiday cords from lowes for 75% off. Home depot does not do that. But just figure out what you will need for next year and buy while cheep. As for this year i would defiantly do spt wire with vampire plugs or some other source of plugs. I get them offline a lot better deals. As for the spt i have spt2. spt1 is cheaper but 2 is has better rating from what i know. Hopefully someone can verify that. And i know nothing about spt3.

Most everyone is getting competitive on the 13amp green extension cords. I did see that wal-mart has 50ft cords for 8.97 which is the best price I have seen. Target originally sold 40ft cords for 7.99, and then sold them at 50% off after Christmas. However, last year they had very few of them, and jacked the price to 9.99 prior to the sale. I just received 1000 feet of SPT3 from Creativedisplays.com. The owner was extremely nice and his service has been excellent thus far. I paid about .11/foot. I checked Home Depot prior to the order and it was over .30/ft....not even worth it. SPT3 is very similar to SPT2 however the shielding has some UV inhibitors in it to help make it last longer. I also got the male and female plugs from Creative...Extension cords are the most important part of any display for sure.

Corey

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

I buy my spt wire from Darryl. He has the best prices, I've seen so far. And when he does his sales, its even better. Got to http://www.christmaslightshow.com/xcart/home.php?cat=29 Thats what I recommend.
Certainly nothing against Darryl, In fact I bought our male, and female ends from him. However a 1000' SPT2 wire is $110, verses $80 @ Skycraft, so maybe not the best price out there.

bwaldrep wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:
I buy my spt wire from Darryl. He has the best prices, I've seen so far. And when he does his sales, its even better. Got to http://www.christmaslightshow.com/xcart/home.php?cat=29 Thats what I recommend.
Certainly nothing against Darryl, In fact I bought our male, and female ends from him. However a 1000' SPT2 wire is $110, verses $80 @ Skycraft, so maybe not the best price out there.

Yea, but spt-1 wire he sells is currently on sale for $85 for 1000'. No one else sells spt-1 bulk! Thats what I use.

Guest wbottomley

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

bwaldrep wrote:
ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Yea, but spt-1 wire he sells is currently on sale for $85 for 1000'. No one else sells spt-1 bulk! Thats what I use.

Oh yes they do...

Action lighting, Creative Displays, Creative Decorating, Novelty Lights... and many more.

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Lots of places sell SPT1 in 1000 foot spools.

Two that readily come to mind are Noverlty Lights and CDI (called SPT3 but is really SPT1) Over the years I've bought SPT1 in bulk from lots of places. From as low as 5 cents foot when they have their sales.

Looks like William posted while I was typing, and his memory was better then mine.

I should have remembered Creative Decorating, Brad had a great sale last year, I bought 4000 feet, and I think William bought about the same amount! Best of all, the shipping was also FREE on that sale.

Mountainwxman wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:
bwaldrep wrote:
ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Oh yes they do...

Action lighting, Creative Displays, Creative Decorating, Novelty Lights... and many more.

Not cheap! NO ONE, sells bulk SPT 1 cheap. Only christmas light show.!

Action lighting sells 500' rolls of SPT1 for $56.21.

Creative Displays sells 1000' rolls of SPT 3 for $110, but good luck finding SPT 3 ends.

Creative Decorating does not sell SPT 1 wire.

And Novelty Lights sells 1000' rolls for $140.

Darryl @ christmas light show normaly charges $100 for 1000' roll of SPT 1, but its on sale for $85.

Weather its the reg. or sale price. My point is he is the cheapest place that sells bulb SPT 1 wire.

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Not cheap! NO ONE, sells bulk SPT 1 cheap. Only christmas light show.!

Creative Displays sells 1000' rolls of SPT 3 for $110, but good luck finding SPT 3 ends.

Creative Decorating does not sell SPT 1 wire.

Darryl @ christmas light show normaly charges $100 for 1000' roll of SPT 1, but its on sale for $85.

Weather its the reg. or sale price. My point is he is the cheapest place that sells bulb SPT 1 wire.

Sorry, but not always. I like Darryl, I've met him, I buy stuff from him, but your statement is wrong. His price is not always the cheapest. Maybe today it is.

When you've been around this hobby for a while you will learn to keep your options open, and not make blanket statements like this.

Creative Displays offers preorder pricing in January. Paul also had a 20% off sale in the summer with an additional 10% off with the checkout code, and for your information, SPT3 wire is the same size as SPT1 and all SPT1 ends fit Paul's SPT3 wire.

Creative Decorating last year had a great sale on SPT1 wire. I bought 4000 feet and William bought about the same amount. If I remember right, it was $79 for 1000 feet and shipping was free. I still have over 2000 feet left from that buy. I don't know if Brad is selling wire this year or not, I haven't been on his website to see.

Novelty lights had a sale on SPT wire last spring, it was less then $85 per 1000 feet.

Skycraft Surplus has SPT1 wire from time to time. Usually its around $60 per 1000 ft. I usually place my order when I get their email, regarding this product. I still have over 500 ft from my last buy.

Other commercial wire vendors, not Christmas related, also have sales or special purchase buys on SPT1 wire. I've paid as little as $50 per 1000 feet, when some other Christmas vendors were charging $100 to $150 per spool

Deals are out there from time to time, you just have to be on numerous email lists to be notified when a special buy or special sale is going on, and enter the correct discount code, because the websites may not normally show the special discount pricing to anyone that just logs on.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion you might have, and for the record, let me repeat, Darryl is a great guy and I enjoy buying lots of things from him, just have never purchased his SPT wire as I've always have found it for less at other places.

Guest wbottomley

John.... 2000 feet from Brad last year and 2000 feet from Paul this year.

I would buy some from Darryl but at this point, I'm good so far.

I recently purchased 200 female spt 1 plugs from him for the record. I'll end up using nearly 400 spt 1 female plugs this year.

Darryl has good products just like the rest of the vendors. But, I shop where it's the cheapest at that moment.

Hey thanks William for clearing that up.

I remembered you saying earlier this year that you had 4000 feet. Just forgot when and where you got it. My bad, sorry for the mispost.

I remembered us both buying from Brad last year, and I did get 4000 ft

Guest wbottomley

JBullard wrote:

I remembered you saying earlier this year that you had 4000 feet. Just forgot when and where you got it. My bad, sorry for the mispost.

Those deals are hard to come by.

I plan to stock up after the season this year again.

A decorator cannot have too much spt cord! :D

Mountainwxman wrote:

I recently purchased 200 female spt 1 plugs from him for the record. I'll end up using nearly 400 spt 1 female plugs this year.

But, I shop where it's the cheapest at that moment.

William,

Did you look at the male plugs Home Depot has on sale, $ 35.97 per hundred, with FREE shipping. Was mentioned in another thread here. Received my order of 200 today, they were a dark green color, darker then Novelty Lights, but for that price I don't care.

Didn't really need them since I had purchased 375 each of the male and female in white, and 250 each male & female in green from Novelty this year, but heck, never hurts to have plenty in inventory.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&productId=100652709&navFlow=3&keyword=14-330&langId=-1&searchRedirect=14-330&storeId=10051&endecaDataBean=com.homedepot.sa.el.wc.catalog.beans.EndecaDataBean%4068ce8ff7&ddkey=Search

Mountainwxman wrote:

I saw that but they are out of females, lol!

That sounds like a country music song. :D

Careful, Al in Raleigh might hear you, and you know what he would do. :cool:

Yeah, I knew there were no females,

At least I shouldn't have to order any males next year. My inventory is slowly getting replaced.

JBullard wrote:

What placc does brad and john own?