Light-O-Rama Forums

somoene please help me im so frustrated

christmasfrenzy

i received a cbt16pc light controller from someone on here, i had the 1602 last year and didnt have a problem setting it up, well i don thave the 1602 anymore. so now i got this cbt16pc and the show will start but i cant get any lights to go on, the only thing that works is the music. i uninstalled the software reinstalled it with my license and still having the same issue. the hardware utility finds the controller, im just getting so frustrated last year everything was so easy. also when the show starts the led light becomes steady. so i have no idea wat is wrong, i checked to make sure every sequence has the controller on them and the right unit id, all the setting are correct.

Guest wbottomley

christmasfrenzy wrote:

i received a cbt16pc light controller from someone on here, i had the 1602 last year and didnt have a problem setting it up, well i don thave the 1602 anymore. so now i got this cbt16pc and the show will start but i cant get any lights to go on, the only thing that works is the music. i uninstalled the software reinstalled it with my license and still having the same issue. the hardware utility finds the controller, im just getting so frustrated last year everything was so easy. also when the show starts the led light becomes steady. so i have no idea wat is wrong, i checked to make sure every sequence has the controller on them and the right unit id, all the setting are correct.

You said the HW finds the controller, the light comes on steady while playing a sequence, so that tells me that your channel config and the controller address is not the same.

What is the address of the controller?

If it's other than what you have configured in your layout, then change the controller address.

the only thing the hardware utility allows me is to be able to find the controller, i cant test the lights or anything, nothing works. how do u check the address of the controller and how can i change it.

If you are sure of the settings are correct, and it sound like they are, than maybe try resetting the controller by pulling the jumper out, plug it in, unplug it, than put jumper back in (i hope this it right, I never done it). Maybe also the firmware in it got corrupt. Might want to try uploading new firmware to it.

the cbt16pc controller came up. do i have to set a unit id, becasue for some reason everytime i try to set the id it comes up saying unable to find address to change unit.

i have never had any issues with this like this before, last year i had the 1602 and it was plug and play, but now i got this controller and its a nitemare.

A 1602 had switches to set the address. You can physically see the address you set. Also if you only had one unit last year. The unit is shipped set to address 01. therefore you did not have to change anything. That would very likely explain why it was all "plug and play". If you continue to grow your display and add controllers each will need to be addressed accordingly. Just one of those things to get use to.

Chuck

hey everyone thanx, i finally figured it out, i had to go in the hardware utility and just refresh everything, i changed the old id from any unit to unit 01, then i hit refresh and then i did a firmware update and hit refresh again and when i went to test them they worked. i just have one question, is it ok if i leave the controller on outside cause i know on the 1602 there was a on off switch this one doesnt have it. just want to know if its harmful for the box to be plugged in or should i just unplug it.

Should be no problem leaving them on. I have several that the only "off" time they have had in like 2 years is during any utility outages. I do try to keep an eye on them from time to time.

I take care of a larger number of them that get left on for the whole month that they are installed.

I would say that leaving them on all of the time has a benifit. I know that the heat coming off of the transformer and the two voltage regulators is not much, but it might be enough to help keep the moisture out of the box that the controller is in.

Just remember, the reason there are different versions of controllers for a reason. There are differences on all the controllers which is why they vary in price. The main different between the 1602 and the PC series is the fact that there are no unit id switches on the actual controller. You also can't control as much power with the PC series. All the cards do the same thing as far as lighting (excluding the older version of the CTB08) but they all have minor differences to them. Doesn't mean they are broken, just means they are different.