Light-O-Rama Forums

Cat5e Cables - Booted or Bootless

ChristmasDude

I notice on the LOR website store that there is a 10ft Cat 5e cable that is bootless, while the others are 'booted', I would like to get the 10ft cable. What is the difference between a 'booted' cat 5e cable and a 'bootless' one? I am hoping either would work with LOR controllers....?

Thanks for your time and response.

I recommend the BootLESS. Sometimes the booted type are difficult to unplug from the controllers. The few cables I had that were booted, I cut the boot off.

I also agree. Use the bootless cables. I had trouble removing one from a board and almost damaged the connector getting it out. So be carefull when removing the connector.

Some of the ones with molded in boots are nice with the molded in strain relief, but the snag free part of the boot really interferes with getting the cable to release. So when I have booted cables, I use a flush cutter to cut that part off.

Booted, bootless and snag resistant all have their good, bad, and ugly sides.

Booted, the best for keeping the little lock in tab from being snagged and ripped off or damaged to the point that the connector is worthless. One major draw back is that in some cases the boot of two or more connectors close together makes it impossible to install the second connector.

Bootless, well there will be no trouble of plugging in two or more connectors closely together. But now you run the risk of snagging and ripping off the latch which will render the connector useless. One has to be very carefull of pulling the cables out at the end of the season. Along with winding up the cables to store them.

I am not sure if this is the proper name, but for the sake of the disscussion right now, let me call them snag resistant. Let me discribe it like this. There are two ears molded into the plug on eaither side of the lock in tab. This does not cause the plug to be fatter on the other 3 sides. Thus it will sit close to other plugs unlike the booted plugs. But the ears do not protect the lock in tab as well as the booted plug. But does provide some form of protection to the tab. I am not aware of any such connection being user installed unlike the above two types. So you will need to purchase pre-made cables to get this form of connector.

I agree... the booted ones can be really hard to release especially when they are cold from being outside.

tmadak wrote:

Speaking of cold. Naked is not necessaryly better up north in the cold!

I'll leave this quote alone...

cenote wrote:

tmadak wrote:

I'll leave this quote alone...

I won't. I live up north and I can say that naked is always preferable. It might not be "better" but it's always preferable...

tmadak wrote:

I live way further north than any of you folks do and after we spend 2 weeks in (minus 40%Fahr. ) and another two weeks in (minus 30Fahr.) temps, we feel real warm when the temperature hit (32F ) and so we go coatless.

That is naked enough.

By the way we had 94%F weather two weeks ago and this Friday coming it will be 10%F at night.