Light-O-Rama Forums

Programming slow songs

Guest guest

Ok, I feel as my head is going to explode. Programming slow songs appears to take 10x more brain power and is more draining. Any suggestions to help in this category. the Tapping Wizard really isn't effective with these type of songs either due to the lack of events. My wife wants Christmas Shoes and after 6 hours, I'm only about a 1/3 done for 64 channels.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Glad to see that I am not the only one with this problem. I have been working on a slow song, "Let There Be Peace on Earth," for over a month and noticed the same thing. This is my first year using LOR and thought it might just be my lack of experience. Slow songs definitely seem to be more of a challenge to sequence.

How I handled a slow one like "let there be peace.." is to tap it out only on the "big beats.

Counting the song (6/8) as (note the colors of the beats)

1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 3

Let There Be Peace On Earth And Let It

or counted

so Iwould TAP 1 4 1 4 1 4 1 4 1 4 1 4 1 4 1 4 1 4 for the entire song.
THEN I would go back and right click in each cell and "add multiple" "5"

now you will have a grid counted out as

1&2&3&4&5&6&1&2&3&4&5&6& Giving you the extra 1/2 time between notes to grid out stutters, chases and fades.

Its a little work, but once you have the whole song laid out, ot can be used for any sequence, merely by filling in the squares.

PLEASE EXCUSE all the colors and sizes, as its hard to express my self musically, using only BB code :]

I did "Where Are You Christmas?" last year with a lot of slow fades which gave a sort of color changing effect and used the "flashier" effects for emphasis. I think it turned out very pretty. It did take a lot longer to sequence than the faster songs.:)

With Don's help I uploaded the sequence to the wiki for anyone who wanted to see an example of working with a slow song.