Light-O-Rama Forums

LED Strings and LOR Units

captainron19

I will be having a lot of LEDs for my first season of LOR and I have heard from others about the problems with LEDs and dimming effects because of the small amount of power they draw.

Someone told me you can wire up a single c7 bulb to have ont hat strand to resolve the issue.

Coupel of questions

1.. Will the single bulb need to be between the LOR unit and the LED Strings or can it be at the end of the LED string?

2..If it has to be between the LOR unit and LED string does it have to be inline between the string and LOR unit or can it be plugged into a multi use adapter 9 ie 3 into 1)

3. Does anyone have any "how to's" on making the single bulb setup? I never really get into the "art" of splicing wires and DIY when it comes to electrical.

Thanks in advance

The bulb can be anywhere on the circuit, it just puts more of a load on the circuit for the controller. If you have an old string of c7 lights, just cut the end socket off and splice it to the end of your led string. You can use butt connectors, solder and tape, twist the wire and tape it, or whatever method works best for you.

I use LEDs from CDI and the only place I have to use the additional c-9 bulb is on my roof lights. That is mainly cause I have 15 sets end to end and then 17 set end to end. My other LED strings have NO problem with dimming. Dimming was how I knew I needed the snubber. After so many strings... I think it was like 10...they would not dim properly. Once I added the single bulb they worked fine.

I had a sequence that would constantly fade up and fade down while I set up the lights to check operation.

The photo is how I made mine.

Attached files 180276=10249-100_2174_1.JPG

Perfect thanks - most of my LED setups are only going to be max of 10 strands per channel but I think iw ill make them anyway ... just inc ase

• 1 month later...

cmoore60 wrote:

hook them up the way you plan to use them....set up a fade up/down and see if it behaves correctly. YOU may not need them depending on how they react.

Chuck

So ifthe LEDs act correctly after a short test then they will be fine over the season?