Light-O-Rama Forums

LED Icicles in sequence

captainron19

I have some LED Icicles where each strand has a small transformer on it with about 8 settings (flash, twinkle etc) My plan is to use these in my first year of LOR and just set the transformer to steady on. Will this pose a problem with the LOR units?

In most cases if you use anything except full on or full off it is the light string controllers that will get fried, not the LOR units.

Actually, it doesn't make any difference which way you set the light string. As long as the LOR controller is sequenced only on or off (meaning no fades or shimmers) it will be no more traumatic to the lights than if you plugged and unplugged them manually.

captainron19 wrote:

ok gotcha thanks. Will probably still use them but will just make sure they are set for on or off.

You can use all of the LOR features so long as the light string itself is set to the "Constant ON" state, otherwise, to use the features built into the light string itself you would have to use only the full On or Off feature of the LOR program.

Also keep in mind that LED's require a bias voltage to turn on and remain on (usually .7VDC), which means that when you dim the light string using the LOR program, the light string will dim to a point and then cut out and vice versa.

LED's also have a lag time in responding, so keep that in mind as well.

Will this happen if I set a long fade for an LED strand? I guess the main thing to do is to run a test - just got my units and hopefull will get the time to unbox them today and try em out.

Yes, it will happen regardless of the rate of the fade, although the longer/slower the fade the more noticeable it will be.