Light-O-Rama Forums

Serial or USB

captainron19

Does it matter which connections I choose? Purchasing my first setup (32 channels) and my laptop has both connections available. Looking for any input.

Captainron19 -

I have both and have used both on laptops and desktops and there is not speed or reliability difference between the two that I could see. I also use a USB to Serial adaptor due to an upgraded to a computer that didn’t have a serial port. Still no problems.

If you have an unused serial port you may consider using that – only because that will free up a USB port for another peripheral.

- Dave

I've used two USB adapters off of a hub with no issues, and I've used three USB adapters directly off a PC with no issues.

One limitation of the serial adapter is that it is powered from the first controller, so it has to be within 50 cable feet of the first controller. Depending on how your cable runs are, you may not be within that length. At home, I am over 100 feet by the time I get the cable out of the house. For the city show, one of our three networks has the first controller within 50 feet, but the other two are over 150 feet to the first controller.

One caution about the serial adapter, make sure you get the one from LOR. My first year, I didn't and it caused many problems -- like shutting down in the middle of the show. Only adapters with certain brand chips (I can't remember the name now) will work without problem.

Denny wrote:

One caution about the serial adapter, make sure you get the one from LOR. My first year, I didn't and it caused many problems -- like shutting down in the middle of the show. Only adapters with certain brand chips (I can't remember the name now) will work without problem.

Well I will not need an adapter if I have an available serial port on my laptop correct? Or do I have to purchase an adapter in order to connect?

And when you say serial adapter I am assuming you are talking about which connection I chose when purchasing my unit which I just did (and I chose serial rather than USB) so I should not have to purchase any other adapters correct? Sorry if I am seeming dumb - I am actually quite computer litertate....would just do better if I had it in front of me but that is impossible since I just bought it. I just wanna get all my eggs in 1 basket so when my equipment arrives I can get movin!

You should be good. If you ever switch to a PC that does not have a built in serial port, get your USB to serial adapter from LOR, to drive the serial to RS-485 adapter that you have already ordered.

There were some issues with the USB adapter when used with cables without ferrite filters on the ends. However, all 5 that I am currently using on the two shows have never had any issues when used with no ferrites on the cables. I don't remember reading any cases here where changing from one type to the other made any difference, unless they were running the serial adapter with more than 50 feet of cable to the first controller.

captainron19 wrote:

And when you say serial adapter I am assuming you are talking about which connection I chose when purchasing my unit which I just did (and I chose serial rather than USB) so I should not have to purchase any other adapters correct? Sorry if I am seeming dumb - I am actually quite computer litertate....would just do better if I had it in front of me but that is impossible since I just bought it. I just wanna get all my eggs in 1 basket so when my equipment arrives I can get movin!

I guess we should have been using product numbers.

Since your computer has a serial port all you need is the SC485 from Light-O-Rama. The only reason you will need a USB to Serial adaptor is if you had the SC485 and no serial port on your computer.

Here is the link to the LOR Connection page with explanation.

Sorry about the confusion.

- Dave