Light-O-Rama Forums

Technical Discussions

LightORamaDan

Okay... I messed up again. I tried to get a post up in the top of the chain and messed everything up. But here is the original post.

MAX-PAUL Wrote:

Even though LOR and its use might not be a real deep technical device. Still I feel that if we start to use improper names or terms. That it hurts the discussion and confuses people. So I propose that we say Controller when we are talking about for example a CBT16 or a DIO32. Lets reserve Channels for the individual outputs. And a diode for that discrete device that allows current to flow in only one direction and does not produce light.

I could easy use the word "Condenser", but I would leave many young people scratching their heads, wondering what the old fart is talking about. Most of us old timers know that is an old automotive word for a Capacitor.

So, I beg of you to use a proper name for a device in these discussions. And for those of you totally new to electronics. And you do not understand the term used in a post. Please feel free to ask, I am sure someone would willingly be glad to explain. To those of us in the know, please do not dummy down the discussion. Do not make up names to dummy down your post. Only do that to illustrate if someone ask what does xxxxx mean.

Thanks

Max

A number of people posted that they did not want to formalize terminology and that terms like "thingy" were fine as long as the point came across.

I can see that Max was trying to help everyone here by establishing a common language that made it easier to clearly understand one another. I think that Max has a good idea because when dealing with customers, I waste a lot of time when someone says that their "Show does not run" when actually it is a Sequence in the Sequence editor that has a problem, etc...

However, in this environment, it is not practical to have a strict set of terms. For example people will say: "My LOR has a stuck channel"... we know that their Unit has a Circuit that is not working...

I think that it would be prudent to have a list of terms posted here, similar to the list in the Help File's Getting Started section(but expanded). We will get to that and once that list is posted:

• Should people think that we have a "hard core set of rules" NO!
  • Should we jump on someone who gets a term wrong or who continues to use their own terminology NO!
  • Should we jump on someone who suggests that we have a list? NO!
  • If it is clear that someone is not interested in the list do we keep reminding them? NO!
  • Will the list help a newbie get thier point across if they take advantage of it? YES!
  • Am I on vacation in wonderful Columbus NE enjoying visiting my inlaws?? YES I AM! :)

Thanks... Dan.

Papa-LF wrote:

Dan if I called up and asked you to send me some more Ohms - you could help me - Right?

Do it all the time. I would just ask what kit you had, how many ohms and if it was an 8 pin resistor or resistor with two leads.

(just kidding... no one has asked me for more ohms)B)

A lot of people mess up terms but in general we know what they mean and if we are not sure based on the context of the term we ask. Also when people use the incorrect term we just start using the correct term (like... "yes the resistor is rated in ohms but we need to know which resistor you need" ) and usually they switch to the correct termonoligy.

Now other people who have been customers of ours for many years simply have their own words for things and I have given up on trying to change them. I know what they mean, I can answer there questions and that is all that matters to me.

Dan

OK, now I can't resist:

so I can still use the term "LOR: the box that makes things go blinky/flashy?

My visitors relate to that term best.

More Ohms, :cool: Lowell you killed me with that one.

I gotta tell you guys - back in the mid 70's I worked in a Radio Shack in Spokane - durring the CB craze - and I had a guy come into the store and he seriously asked to buy some Ohms... Someone told him he needed a larger resistor, that he need one with more Ohms - so thats what he asked for when he came in He needed to buy some Ohms. I was nice, and I was able to figure out what he needed - and made an honest sale - giving him the opportynity to bring it back if it was wrong.

The other thing we did at that store was sold roach clips - we took a bag of 10 aligator clips and cliped them to a spindle we had on the front counter - the sign said "ROA" -(crossed out) Aligator Clips - 25cents each. You could buy the bag of 10 for $1.29 on the back wall. We would refill that spindle a couple times a week.... Too funny!

It cracks me up when I go into a Radio Shack looking for something and the clerk says "Sorry we have never carried that". I just laugh at them - young and unknowing.....

Papa-LF wrote:

[sNIP]
It cracks me up when I go into a Radio Shack looking for something and the clerk says "Sorry we have never carried that". I just laugh at them - young and unknowing.....

What I hate is when you hear people places like RS speak with authority about things they have absolutely no knowledge about. I was in a RS the other day and overheard the sales clerk tell a customer: "You want this brand of SD card for your camera. That other SD card makes your pictures blurry".

I hear it is no longer Radio Shack but rather "The Shack"....

Wow how long you going to be in BIG RED country? Wish you could stop by Lincoln and have a cup of coffee, would love to meet you, any how enjoy your time off you.

Went in to Radio Shack looking for a coaxal D.C. Connector. Sales man took me over to the R.F. connectors showing me the Pl-259 and SO-259 connectors.

What a lark.

Dale J wrote:

Wow how long you going to be in BIG RED country? Wish you could stop by Lincoln and have a cup of coffee, would love to meet you, any how enjoy your time off you.

Hi Dale,

We are back home now... I really enjoy being in Nebraska. We stay with my brother-in-law Ron and his family. Just great folks to be around and they make the stay even more enjoyable. Mary has a pretty big family so she can stay pretty busy visiting. We do not usually have much free time. However, Mary does have a sister in Lincoln who we do visit occasionally... Maybe we can have that cup of coffee some day.

For some reason Mary's Grandpa just slipped into my head. He has been gone for a long time. He was a farmer and a really BIG man. WWI veteran who always had problems because of mustard gas but he never complained. There was a picture on the wall of him when he was young, plowing the field, holding onto the plow being pulled by a team of 4 Clydesdale horses. When I met him he was very old, looked old with skin tortured by decades of sun. He slowly stood up to shake my hand. His hand was huge, just engulfing my hand and in his hand there was such surprising strength. A strength you get by working hard every day of your life. But there was also a gentleness. I know that you find good people everywhere in the country but the people in Mary's family and their friends and neighbors are like her grandpa. Hardworking, give you the shirt off there backs, no complaints. They are strong yet gentle people. It makes you feel good to be around them.

Dan

Thanks Dan for the reply, you are indeed one of those men also the way you support your products and bend over backward to try and help here on the forum, thanks again and please do give me a shout when your in town,

(sorry to get off topic)

I walked into a RS store and needed some wire and RCA jacks. So when the sales person asked me what I needed, I was walked over the the DVD stereo system stuff....

I bought some solder, RCA jacks and some wire.

The Radio Shack sales people are very incompetent if you ask me. I applied there about 2-3 months ago, never heard back.

Thanks Dan for the SD card heads up! Do we need to check the cards for our mp3 directors? The last thing I need is blurry lights.....

--Daniel L

Hey Dan,

The next time you're in Nebraska, why not take a little detour up to Minnesota before heading east for upstate NY? (You'll be amazed how similar Minnesota and parts of upstate NY look.) I'll buy you a cup of coffee too.