Light-O-Rama Forums

Can you put the showtime units on the ground?

Guest guest

The official LOR site says to mount the units so that the plugs hang vertically. I was hoping to just put them on the ground out in the yard (maybe inside a secondary climate-resistant container if necessary). Does anyone have thoughts or experience on this?

I'm one of the Newbies Gone Wild!

Dave,
I have my controllers all standing vertically - you can still have them in the yard - I made my own stand - piece of plywood, 2 stakes and it's up off the ground with no easy way for moisture to run up in it.

I would be careful about placing the controller in a 2nd enclosure - as the controllers generate some heat and you do want it to be able to breathe.

Of course that's just my 2¢ :P
-Rob

Some of mine are simply propped up against trees, with them sitting vertically, and actually sitting on the pigtails coming out of the bottom. The pigtails are rigid enough to set the actual unit a couple of inches off the ground. They were fine. I don't think I would lay them down horizontally, though, because they wouldn't drain.

Bill Hoffman wrote:

Some of mine are simply propped up against trees, with them sitting vertically, and actually sitting on the pigtails coming out of the bottom.  The pigtails are rigid enough to set the actual unit a couple of inches off the ground. They were fine.  I don't think I would lay them down horizontally, though, because they wouldn't drain.

I almost did the same thing - just afraid that we might actually get a real snowfall that would end up covering the boxes... which is probably why we never really did get any snow - because I put mine up a bit from the ground. I bet anything had I left 'em down we would have had 2' of snow - followed by a rapid warm-up (and melting) which would then have fried my controllers... :laughing:

I recommend that you keep the boxes up off the ground, keep the pigtails out of standing water. You can have the boxes horizontal if you protect them from the elements.

One thing often overlooked is to secure the data cable. The data cable should be attached to some rigid structure using something like strong cable ties. I do not have enough fingers and toes to count the times that someone has tripped over a data cable and ripped the RJ45 connector out of a board. I keep slack cable near the box and secure it.