Light-O-Rama Forums

Do you need Timers????

zulfie

I have a question please, if you are running your light show from your PC, do you actually need timers to turn on the displays???? Can't you just leave the controllers powered up all of the time and they will only turn on when they receive a signal from the PC....

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I''ve been running my lights for the last 2 years in Standalone Mode, so I definitely needed the timers...

Thanks,

Ray

Hi Ray

Well last year was my first year at this, but yes you are correct about using the PC and not needing timers.

I started up my show the second week of December and just left everything powered up with the PC on and everything ran fine for me.

I even used the Zara Radio program to transmit Christmas music and promos during the day when the show wasn't running.

Bill

Both shows I'm involved in are PC based. Most of the controllers at the house are still connected to constant on power today. At the city park show, there would be no way we would consider putting timers on the over 50 20 amp circuits, that are spread across two lots, with separate power feeds.

And oddly, both sites are also using Zara Radio out side of show hours. The station at the house is playing patriotic music this time of year...

Yes, just one. It starts and stops my show ever night.

I use a mini director and if I want to change the songs played you just have to make another SD card with what you want.

A timer comes in handy for the radio station sign and the speaker in the display. All my controllers stay powered up.

Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback. I only have 2 controllers from my 2 years doing this and both are standalone. I'm planning on adding more and the PC ones are obviously cheaper and makes sense to not need timers....

Good point on the FM transmitter and speaker...

Thanks all....

Ray

I use X10, controlled by LOR, to control the power to the transmitter and speakers. It never failed in 2 years.