Light-O-Rama Forums

X-10 stupid mistake

Guest guest

I was playing with Activehome late last night to help diagnose some of my X-10 woes. When exiting ActiveHome, the box came up that said "Do you want to close the communication bridge...". Out of habit, thinking it was asking me if I wanted to save changes, I said "NO".

I was on my way home from work tonight and Cathy calls me telling me none of the 'static' display had come up. I helped her bring it up manully (via the X10 remote) over the phone. I suspected I forgot to close the communication bridge immediately, and upon closer inspection, YEP!

Of course LOR cannot control X-10 when the interface is being commandeered by the Activehome communication utility...

-Tim

• 1 year later...

tfischer wrote:

I was on my way home from work tonight and Cathy calls me telling me none of the 'static' display had come up.
-Tim

You're so lucky to have Cathy! Dawn is scared to death of the "Mad Scientist's Lab!" She refused to touch anything when I was at work and the display didn't light on time. I had to call my neighbor Ted and get him to go over to the house. He had to take his wife so the other neighbor's wouldn't get the wrong impression :laughing: What a riot!

There I go waking up old threads again:waycool:

jeff

I'd done similar things. I stumbled across this site:

www.logmein.com

If allows you to remotly control any Windows based PC from any other Windows bsaed PC. Its a lot like GoToMyPc. The difference is LogMeIn has a free product.

Sign up for the 30 day free trial, when that expires it converts to a free membership with some limitations.

The limitations are; you can't cut and paste from the remote to host, cant print from remote to host, cant file transfer (directly) from remote to host. If you just need to get to your LOR PC from work and make sure stuff is running (or not running) it works great!

-r

I also vote for logmein. It is a great utility, and the free version works very well for this (subject to the limitations mentioned).

I have 12 pc's at home, setting at my desk, I can update software or other functions without having to run all over the house.

In the past I've used a utility called "Timbuktu" for remote logins into my work desktop, as it was one of the few (only?) products that supported driving a Mac from a Win machine, and vice versa. Now that I can run both Win and MacOS X at the same time on my Intel-based Mac laptop, I seldom have that need anymore for work (I do software development on both platforms).

Oddly enough, Timbuktu had those same restrictions (no clipboard between the two machines, no printing locally from remote machine, and ackward file transfer...)

-Tim