Light-O-Rama Forums

Motorized Contraption builder needs advise

Ralph A

Hello,

I want to try to build something this year that I have never tried before, but I certain I will be able to complete it with a little help and advise. The project consist of a 8x4 plywood bottom platform that will move forward in a track about 10 feet. The platform will have a back portion that will rest on top of the bottom section by 6 inches. The back will be hinged so it can raise up to its upright position resting in a "L" shape. This will serve as a stage for certain figures that will be lighted for parts of the show. However I want it to be able to close and move back when not in use. So, here are my questions;

1. What type of motor do I use, AC or DC? How large of a motor do I need? Platform weight is about 60 or 70 pounds, but travels on wheels inside a steel track.

2. I was planning on using a cable to pull the platform forward. It would wind up on a spool and it would be able to pull up the back of the platform to its upright position when in the forward position. However, How do I get it to return? Do I use a spring of some sort? Ten feet is a long way and a big spring. I thought of using some type of chain instead of cable like bicycle chain, but that would be very expensive but I believe it would work in both direction. Right?

3. Then how do I get the motor to stop in the forward position and in the back resting position. There must be limit switches out there for this type of thing. And, will the motor auto reverse when it is turned on and off each time?

As you can see I've never worked with these types of motors and contraptions. Any advice will be greatly appreciated as to the best place to buy and how to build the above. I know many of you have completed things of this nature before and I can learn a great deal form you.

Thanks for you advise and help in advance!!!

Best wishes, Ralph

One word:

Gargage door opener.... well that was three words.

With a garage door opener, it can be operated forward and backward, as well as stop in the middle.

The remote can be intefaced to LOR.

Another Word. Cool!!

Good Idea. I will need to make the travel longer, add more chain etc, etc. But would be much cheaper that the motors.

How do you adapt the push button to LOR?

Thanks Ralph

Ralph A wrote:

How do you adapt the push button to LOR?

You could use an isolation relay, 120 vac or dc depending on the LOR board you are using. The LOR would pull in the relay, the relay connected to the remote button, would in turn operate the garage door opener. Just on off functions no dimming, will make the relay chatter and burn, been there done that.

Good idea on the garage door opener by the way.

You could use an isolation relay, 120 vac or dc depending on the LOR board you are using. The LOR would pull in the relay, the relay connected to the remote button, would in turn operate the garage door opener. Just on off functions no dimming, will make the relay chatter and burn, been there done that.

Good idea on the garage door opener by the way.

OK, sounds great but have no idea what that is. Where can I read up on the isolation relay to find what I need? And how it will work with my display?

Thanks Paul for the advise!!

Hey Paul,

WOW!!! You knew just what I needed. My own video. COOL. I really appreciate that. The video was a great idea for guys like me that have never worked with these types of things. I will be at Granger this week and get one of those neat toys. Thanks again, that is really helpful.

Ralph

Ralph,

Ya know, it just dawned on me that you could use the open/close button circuit that comes with the opener, instead of the remote. Ether way the guys in the engineering office would like to see what you come up with.