Light-O-Rama Forums

compressors and limiters for fm transmitters

rmkrause

A large number of people run shows without any of that hardware.. Some people do tweak the audio in audacity for similar effects, but others do nothing more than adjust amplitude.

Shot answer: you don't need them to sound good.

I can especially speak for the EDM LCD, which sounds quite good
as is.

That said, I do use the Behringer DSP1424P and find it enhances the
sound even further, but considering the cost and additional
complexity of hookup ... its only worth it if you the perfectionist
type. And the unit is fairly complex to configure . You getting an
improvement, but its kind like getting a K&H air filter to gain the extra
7% of horsepower ...

95% of all folks would be quite happy without it.

Scott

One thing I recently found out about the Behringer DSP1424P is that it does introduce about a 30us delay to the music... something to keep in mind if things seems a tad out of sync with it in line.

Hope this helps someone! :D

How did you figure that out?

I never noticed any delay, but it could depend on the settings used.

I actually didn't use any compression. I like the volume maximizer portion
best.

Jeff Millard wrote:

That'd be easy to detect with a dual trace scope...

Your absolutely right Jeff! :D
Original sig on input 1, processed sig on input 2, expand the time base and measure the diff!

Delays are commonly used to achieve time alignment when drivers are not equal distances from the listener to put them in the "sweet spot". (good use)

In pro audio however these signal processing delays can be a catastrophe if not taken in to account when designing your signal path. Anytime you have digital signal processing the potential for time delay is present. It is a matter of planning for them.

The old analog equipment didn't suffer from these delays for the most part BTW! :shock:

I am not knocking the unit, just pointing out that you may want to adjust your sequences slightly to account for it if you want to try to be dead on. To some folks it is just that important... :cool:

-klb- wrote:

A large number of people run shows without any of that hardware.. Some people do tweak the audio in audacity for similar effects, but others do nothing more than adjust amplitude.

I use audacity to compress a but, Makes it seem louder when broadcasting in the fcc limits.

EDIT: I will say i myself don't know much technical about all of this stuff, what i did in audacity just made it seem louder, it could just be my imagination.