Light-O-Rama Forums

RJ1 pin out

Paul C

The middle and right connectors have the same pin out. Pin 1 is on the right.

Pins 1 and 2 connect to pins 1 and 2 on the connector next to it.
Pin 3 is +9v, used to power the ELL or SC485-RJ45.
Pins 4 and 5 are the RS485 network pins. I don't remember which is '+' and which is '-'.
Pin 6 is ground (RS485 requires a signal ground. This is also the return path for the +9v supply.)
Pins 7 and 8 connect to pins 7 and 8 on the connector next to it.

The pin out for the left (6-pin) connector is as follows. Pin 1 is on the right:

Pin 1 is not connected.
Pin 2 is ground.
Pins 3 and 4 are the RS485 network.
Pin 5 is +9v.
Pin 6 is not connected.

Thanks Steve,
We were at work trying to make a rj45 to db9 connector. Found out its not as simple as that as there is some circuitry involved. Will just have to Buy one for work.

This is a bit off the LOR subject, but there is no standard for connecting a DB9 to a RJ45. If you're doing RS232 (a regular computer serial port), there are several methods, including one used by US Robotics, but I believe your best bet is the Cisco "standard".

You can see a chart of the various pin outs at http://www.osburn.com/~osburn/rs232/.
There is Cisco-specific information at http://www.cisco.com.

We thought that the connector was strait through, when I got home and opened the one I had did I find out other wise.

Paul C wrote:

We thought that the connector was strait through, when I got home and opened the one I had did I find out other wise.

Are you referring to the connector that is used with LOR, like the SC485-RJ45 Serial Adapter? This has a circuit inside that converts the RS232 signal (0-5 volts unbalanced) to RS485 (-7 to +12 volts balanced).

That is the one. Will have to get one for work, trying to convince the powers that be to put up lights next year.