Light-O-Rama Forums

Powering Computer Power Supply on a LOR Channel

daniel

I have a few LEDs that I want to use for a lighting effect. They will be powered via the 6 & 12v outputs of a computer power supply.

If the power supply will just be on, not flickering. Will it damage a LOR channel? I want to use it on my ctb-16D.

I think/know it will work, but I guess I am a little worried about any possible damaging "line noise" the supply might return back through the controller.

Thanks for any help!

--Daniel L

• 2 weeks later...

having never put an O-scope on an LOR channel I dont know how the waveform looks.. however I have noted with Most TRIAC circuits usually part of the waveform is still cut off even at full on state which would not play nice with a switcher type PC power supply...
-Christopher

I used a PC Power supply to provide +5 Volts for two servo motors on a CTB08D.

Channel 1 was the Power Supply, Channels 2 and 3 were each one C7 (for blow molds), and Channels 4-8 were a mixture of regular and incandescent lights.

For some reason the C7s on 2 and 3 would not fade when the power supply was on. They would turn on and off ok, but would stay on at full intensity until the end of the fade.

I made up a relay to control the power supply, and put that on Channel 1. The problem went away.