Light-O-Rama Forums

X-10 Control Question

Kenneth D

I have seen that a controller is needed to the LOR software to control X-10 boxes.

The one I have seen listed is this one. The CMA11. It seems to be obsolete and requires a USB to legacy serial converter. http://www.thehomeautomationstore.com/cm11a.html

I also saw this one the CM19A, http://www.thehomeautomationstore.com/cm19a.html but it says it is not compatible with the Active Home Software. Does anyone know if it will work with LOR?

The same question with this one, the CM15A: http://www.thehomeautomationstore.com/sw31a-cm15a.html , but it doesn't look like you can get this with out the software package.

Thanx

I have used x-10 for years now and have one of my PCs controlling them - landscape lights, living room, fish tank, etc.. I use the ActiveHome software to control everything. I use it for the motorized stuff in Halloween and Christmas displays.

http://www.x10.com/promotions/cm15a_ed_th2807_1022_burst.html

The CM11a works fine in LOR. You can pick up a USB to serial adapter for less than $5 shipped on Ebay. So for less than $30 total, you have X10 capability. It's great for non-critical timing display elements as well as the inflatables some people use since you can use an appliance module to act as a relay. The blower motors in these things don't like to have the voltage reduced if the LOR channel was accidentaly dimmed, shimmered, etc. Another benefit is you don't use up any valuable LOR channels.

Mark

LOR was supposed to update to be able to use X10 USB (CM15a). Dan, care to give an update?

Mark, are you using the usb to serial adapter? I have heard of issues using this with LOR.

iresq wrote:

Mark, are you using the usb to serial adapter? I have heard of issues using this with LOR.

I've used the CM11a on several machine, both with a native serial port and with the USB-serial adapter and never had any issues. It's just important to verify the COM port the adapter appears as since each USB port will map differently. But I agree, the CM15a compatibilty will be one less link in the chain to deal with....

Mark

iresq wrote:

LOR was supposed to update to be able to use X10 USB (CM15a). Dan, care to give an update?

How about we move into the 21st century. I'd like to see support for the Insteon PLM (2412S) and Insteon ApplianceLinc (2456S3). These are more reliable and faster than X-10.

garyfunk wrote:

How about we move into the 21st century. I'd like to see support for the Insteon PLM (2412S) and Insteon ApplianceLinc (2456S3). These are more reliable and faster than X-10.

Insteon support would be nice for the factors you mentioned, albeit much more expensive per device - $35 for Insteon versus less than $7 for an X10 appliance. But I wouldn't use either one for critical-timing events. I don't think you ould ever achieve the speed and repeatability of direct LOR channel control.

Mark

Only the ancient CM11a works with LOR currently.

I agree ... lets get insteon and UPB support added to the enhancements list.

Is there such a thing as a DMX to insteon bridge?

Mark Steele wrote:

garyfunk wrote:

Insteon support would be nice for the factors you mentioned, albeit much more expensive per device - $35 for Insteon versus less than $7 for an X10 appliance. But I wouldn't use either one for critical-timing events. I don't think you ould ever achieve the speed and repeatability of direct LOR channel control.

Mark

We don't use them for critical-timing events. They are used to turn on items with motors and other items that are left on during a show.

I've just used X10 to turn on my transmitter and DSP1424P ... and it's worked well in that role -- it's been 100% reliable.

As Gary said, it would probably work fine on a tune-to sign, deer motors, anything static, not requiring precise timing. I just got lazy and just put my deer motors, santa inflatable and sign spotlight on a conventional outdoor timer.