Light-O-Rama Forums

EFFECT TYPE

wickedstangs

Ok,
I have a strand / string of lights 1-100 what effects are you all using? What else can I use?

spacer.png

I tried out Motion Blended Bars anyone have something cooler?

spacer.png 

spacer.png

Ok, No one else has said anything so I'll jump in here and start with the obvious. What kind of string of lights is yours? I mean, there are numerous different types and each type may require a different kind of controller. So, for examples: An AC light string requires a standard AC controller which will usually not work with a motion effect row that you are showing on your screen shot. Then there's RGB LED's that we refer too as "Dumb" LEDs. They require a DC controller. They work by supplying a constant +12VDC to the string/strip/node and varying the -12VDC on each of the R,G,B inputs, to obtain the color of choice for the "Whole" string/strip. Then there are intelligent strings/strips/nodes. Those require another and different controller for this purpose. LOR has Pixie controllers, the newest Aurora Controller and the now older Pixcon16 controller. There are many others out there and available.

Then, depending on the controller, will dictate the communication requirements for each. Most LOR controllers, not all, have the capability of using direct DMX or DMX over RS485 and that requires a special Serial to RS485 interface. The Pixel controllers or intelligent types, usually have an ethernet connector on them or in the case of LOR's, they might have both RS485 and ethernet. Ethernet is IEEE or E1.31 which means, its connects directly to a computer or switch which is connected to a computer. It could also be connected to a player which LOR does have available. So, to confuse you a hair more, but not on purpose, you MUST insure that you understand what type of communication you are sending to which kind of controller. Connecting RS485 to an ethernet connection or opposite, will let out the "Magic Smoke" and you'll be spending for a lot more than you started. Both connection types for LOR, use the same Cat5 cables, therefore you need to mark them and not connect to the wrong device.

So, back to the first question: What kind of light string do you have?