Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone running LOR on an Apple Silicon Mac?

Tim Fischer

Anyone here running LOR on an Mac M1, M2, or M3? 

I currently sequence on an Intel Mac (using Parallels and Windows). Eventually I'd like to upgrade this aging beast to a more current Mac, but don't want to lose my ability to run LOR. 

I run the show on a desktop PC so that's not an issue, but I would like the ability to use the HWU to talk to controllers via the Macbook.

Specifically wondering about the FTDI drivers or anything else lower level.

Edited by Tim Fischer

• 1 month later...

Xlights. I'm sorry... But that's the way to go on a mac at this point.. Especially since the ARM macs can't run windows at all, much less parallels. I've been running on a mac since 2015... And am currently running a M3 mac with xlights. Haven't looked back software wise, although still use LOR hardware products in my show and keep the LOR hardware utility on a windows machine for assigning LOR ID's to controllers that don't have physical switches.

If thats not a good enough answer, the only other thing I can suggest is to just switch over to sequencing on windows with LOR when the time comes.

Good luck.

To be clear, I sequence on Windows and run the show on Windows. My current sequencing laptop is an Intel Mac and I run LOR via Parallels on Windows. Works great.

Parallels does work on an ARM mac and if you have the correct version of Windows it evidently runs Intel-based Windows apps too. But I'd like to talk to someone that's had LOR working this way.

I'm due for a new Mac soon and it will by necessity be ARM...