Light-O-Rama Forums

New Build

MattJ

I'm fortunate to be doing a new build house for my family. We'll be going through electrical and low voltage (LAN/Coax) reviews with the builder in the next few weeks.

If you had this opportunity what would you put into the house at the framing stage to make running your displays easier.

All common sense and outrageously over the top design ideas welcomed! :)

at least 2 CAT6 cables back to a patch panel to every side of the house with a separate set to any isolated (by concrete) zones, as well as upper level eves (street side)

Why 2?  1 for Ethernet and 1 for LOR RS485

The patch panel should have a Ethernet switch, router as well as 2 CAT6 to possible office and workshops

CAT6 is cheap compared to the effort and expense of retrofitting after the walls are covered. The patch panel allows cross connections as needed.

• Like 2

Conduit to anyplace in the yard where it will make sense.  Much easier to have empty conduit that you never use rather than WISHING you had put conduit to that planter.  Remember that low voltage can't be in the same conduit as 120 Volt.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 8:25 PM, TheDucks said:

at least 2 CAT6 cables back to a patch panel to every side of the house with a separate set to any isolated (by concrete) zones, as well as upper level eves (street side)

Why 2?  1 for Ethernet and 1 for LOR RS485

The patch panel should have a Ethernet switch, router as well as 2 CAT6 to possible office and workshops

CAT6 is cheap compared to the effort and expense of retrofitting after the walls are covered. The patch panel allows cross connections as needed.

Make sure the cat are rated for high and low temps such as underground types because once the walls are closed, its nearly impossible to replace one. You might consider wire pull locations just for that reason so that you can indeed access those cables. Very important!!! Draw a map of exactly how those cables are run and insure it gets passed onto the next owner, if that should happen. Make copies...

• Like 1

If you plan to do any permanent lighting on your eaves, run the wires from eave to eave beore the soffits go in.

I'm not allowed to do permanent lighting (HOA) but I love that idea were I not so restricted. 

Here's my summary of your awesome input so far:

• Outlets under all eves. - for sure!
  • 2 CAT6 cables from every side of the house as well as upper eaves back to a patch panel 
  • Make sure the cat6 cables are rated for high and low temps 
  • The patch panel should have a Ethernet switch, router as well as 2 CAT6 to possible office and workshops
  • Draw a map of exactly how those cables are run and ensure it gets passed onto the next owner, if that should happen. Make copies...
  • Conduit to anyplace in the yard where it will make sense. - what diameter conduit??

Thank you all for the pointers - keep 'em coming. I'm about 4 weeks out from electrical and low voltage construction reviews in early September.

You all rock! :)

13 hours ago, MattJ said:

Conduit to anyplace in the yard where it will make sense. - what diameter conduit??

The cost difference is pretty small.  I would say a MINIMUM of 3/4 inch - 1 inch better.  I have some places with one and a quarter that are empty most of the year.  A couple of those get used for Christmas.  Almost all the conduit I have in the front yard has 1/8" paracord as a pull rope.