Light-O-Rama Forums

Big led light trees

marty h

Posted (edited)

Hello. 
after years of programing lights I probably should know this but dont. 

im want to add a couple of really large trees  that would have at least 32 sets of led lights around them 360 degrees. 

my question is how does this work from an ac controller perspective? 

thanks in advance. 

Edited by marty h

You need at least 2 16 port AC controllers. With LED strings it is pretty hard to overload a port.

I said AT  LEAST, because each port is just 1 strand of whatever color. Some folk used to have 3 colors (3 ports) per spoke. That is 96 ports (6 controllers)

There are a lot of pre-owned Gen 2 controllers for sale, but those, while working, are not the best with LED, nor run at the faster network speeds and will need more care to perform well (they don't have snubbers, for 1).

32 strands will be heavy. Your tree will need a winch as well as be strong

My largest led tree uses six ac controllers 96 strands. The tree is 18 feet tall with four different colors up and down and two controllers for spirals, 16 in each direction. I use military antenna poles with six guy lines anchoring the tree, three from the top and three halfway. I don't have a winch but a contraption I made to clamp my ladder to the pole once the center pole is supported. I have always wanted a winch system but I don't think that would work with the spirals. I have been putting this tree up for 10 years and it fell the first year, talk about a tangled mess, lessons learned that year.

Thanks for the input .  I'm not really concerned about building the actual tree although I appreciate the tips.  I asking what the controller channels look when programing in S6? l Each ac controller having 16 channels if you want to use more that 1 ac controller.

Thanks 

Marty

Posted (edited)

Each ac controller will have it's own LOR ID so it's pretty straight forward. So lets say controller 1 will have an ID of 01 with channels 1-16, controller 2 will have an ID of 02 with channels 1-16 and so on. You will use whatever ID's are not in use by other controllers.

Edited by Mr. P

Ok.  I currently have 9 ac controllers 2 RGB trees, RGB arches other stuff.  Ive never used more than 1 Ac controller on a particular prop.  Ill figure it out . 

Thanks 

It doesn't matter how many controllers you use, when you build your prop you will assign a controller ID and channel to each string in the prop.