Light-O-Rama Forums

problem with exporting to fseq

rick gurnee

I ran into a problem when trying to export an LOR sequence to FSEQ.  After several hours of hitting my head against a wall, I was able to create a simple test that shows the problem.  Before I open a ticket with LOR, I thought I would explain it here and see if anyone has any ideas.

I have built two P5 displays.  One is 6 panels x 7 panels and is defined in the Preview as a matrix with 224 string and 384 nodes per string.  This is assigned Universes 1-504.  The other is a 3 x 2 display defined as a matrix with 64 strings and 192 nodes per string.  This is assigned universes 505-576.  These are the only two props in my Preview.  For this test, the second display is not being used.  I created a new animation 5 seconds long with the butterfly effect for the large display.  I exported this to FSEQ and uploaded it to FPP.  I was able to successfully play it and saw the butterfly on the display.

Now to the strange part.  I made a copy of the original preview and did not change anything.  I changed the sequence to use this copied preview.  I then exported it to FSEQ (I had to close my Chrome browser because it was apparently using the file), deleted the file in FPP, uploaded the new FSEQ file to FPP and tried to run it.  Nothing appeared on the screen.  I even rebooted the Raspberry Pi and still nothing.

Then I changed the sequence to use the original preview, exported it to FSEQ, uploaded it to FPP and tried to run it.  Again nothing happened on the screen.  This should have been the exact same file that worked before.

Is this a bug in LOR or did I do something wrong when I switched previews in my sequence?

I have only briefly attempted to export LOR files as .fseq files for FPP to play.  Played hell getting it figured out so that the FPP channel number came out as expected so I was seeing the part of the preview on my panels.  Must have exported the sequence at least a dozen times (generally each with a tweeked preview) and changed FPP settings at least as many times.  Never don't remember having nothing on the screen - just lots of "wrong" stuff.  I will attempt to play with this over this weekend.

From the help file:

Export as FSEQ File

Selecting "Export as FSEQ" from the Sequencer's File menu exports the current sequence to the FSEQ file format (version 1). The function is only available at the PRO license level. The export only includes props with device type DMX in the export file. It finds the highest numbered DMX universe in your preview, and then includes universe 1 through that number. So if the highest numbered DMX universe in your preview is 36, the file will include universes 1 through 36; which is 36 * 512 = 18,432 channels. This is true even if there are some universes in that range that are not used. If you transfer the file to FPP, then what was universe 1 in your sequence will be channels 1-512 in FPP, universe 2 will be channels 513-1024, etc.

Matt, I agree and understand what the help file says.  But that is not my problem.  My original Preivew has two props.  The first is universes 1-504 and the second is universes 505-576.  When I create a sequence with this preview and put the butterfly effect on the first prop and export it to FSEQ and upload it to the raspberry pi that is controlling my large display, everything works fine.  I see the butterfly effect exactly like I should.

But if I make a copy of the preview which has exactly the same universes and exactly the same props and the export that to FSEQ I would expect the exported file to be identical to the one I first created (and which worked).  However, this FSEQ file, when uploaded to the pi, does not display anything.  

Although this problem is interesting, I can live with it.  I just have to make sure I never change a preview once I create a sequence that is going to be exported to FSEQ.

By the way, I took this one step further.  I created a new sequence with the copied preview and exported that to Fseq.  I uploaded it to the pi and it ran fine. 

So, to recap.  I have two identical previews.  When I create a new sequence with either of the previews I can export that sequence to FSEQ and it works fine.  However, if I change the preview in the sequencer to the other preview it does not work.  So, I will just avoid changing previews in my sequences.

Very interesting.  I will plan on testing this in the next day or so.

After changing the preview, try closing the sequence, and then reopening it. Does that work?

Fantastic! that did it!  I changed previews, saved the sequence, closed the sequence, reopened it and exported as FSEQ.  uploaded to pi and it worked fine.  Thanks Matt, you're the best.