Light-O-Rama Forums

Control Panel Won't relinquish

jwblazek

Running v6.1.2Pro, having a bear of a time setting up/verifying some controllers and associated FW, as a just in case that's the problem.   The CP will not launch reliably from the shortcut, so deleted the shortcut and am launching from the LOR folder. It launches - sometimes, other times does nothing.

When I get it to launch, I observe connectivity of my network devices and the ones I have connected thus far appear properly. If I attempt  to open HU to observe or test controllers, particularly my CBD100's on Enhanced network Aux A Com6 @500K, I get  the message the HU has asked the CP to stop using the port, click refresh to try again. Doing so just repeats the message. This is on a fresh reboot of the PC this AM (gave up late last night and decided to tray afresh this AM). Asks the same question on other ports Regular on Comm 4 for example, non enhanced), but CP eventually relinquishes and allows me to hit Refresh on the HU. Immediately switching back to Comm 6 repeats the error

Main issue that requires me to get into this is my previews all work, props and fixtures work outside with exception of roof line and eaves, running the CBD100s. Only thing I can think f\of is down rev FW ? although I had no problems with S4 for years and can't get into see what FW is on e these for the aforementioned reasons. At one point last night, was able to get into the HU and test the CBD's and they worked via HU. At one point even had 2 of the 3 lines running the eaves last night

A am also getting the message Control lights has lost contact with CP, relaunch CP. Do that same ting. Was able to play teh sequence just now, all worked outsdie except the CBD100's  and acannot get into HU to see what's up, as noted above, yet networks page shows all connected

I have just received a new RS485 adapter (red and new cable) tried that along with a couple others I have, all the same thing

Terribly late in launching Halloween show and definitely don't need this headache! Please help

UPDATE - Connected an old laptop running S4, was able to access controller config, both set up as Dual Normal with 2 ID's and both have V1.21, which is the latest per your website At least I know the boxes work as I can see and test them from the HU

And more, connecting back to my main show PC, not seeing the devices on the Network page n teh control panel. Tried various other comm ports

Still at a total loss here

Edited by jwblazek

Just throwing this out there because it has happened to me. Normally when you go to open a program in Windows you have to double click to open. In LOR you only single click to open a program so if you double click by habit it opens the program twice. The comm port can only be used by one program at a time so CP must release it for HU to use it. The problem I had was that I was double clicking to open CP so it was opened twice and when I went to open HU the first CP would release the comm port but the second open CP would grab it so I got the same message stating HU is requesting the CP to release the comm port. I didn't realize I had opened a program twice, once I figured this out I corrected my double clicking. Just make sure you don't have a program opened twice.

If the CP is opened twice there will still only be one icon in the bottom tray. If you selct Unload LOR it will only close one open CP and the icon will remain until you tell it to unload a second time.

Edited by Mr. P

Thanks Mr P. I have witnessed exactly what you are referring too, many times. I do not believe this is the problem this go around though, thank you for your reply though. Even after a LOR unload or fresh PC reboot, going directly to HU results in same thing

I can't say for certain if this would help or not, but if the show player is running, you could try disabling it. It can definitely interfere if its running and you are trying to test lights at the same time. That doesn't completely explain the CP/HU not collaborating correctly over COM ports though.

"The CP will not launch reliably from the shortcut, so deleted the shortcut and am launching from the LOR folder. It launches - sometimes, other times does nothing."

Not sure what is meant by "launched reliably". Is Control Panel not running at all (and confirmed its not running by looking at task manager)? 

Thanks Jeremiah

By not launching reliably, poor choice of words I guess, means sometimes it works, other times it does not

Swapped out show computer with an old laptop running S6, same version, seems to work so looks like I gut a bug-a-boo on the desktop

Still can't get all 3 strings of ridges/roof line to work, 2 of 3 are working from E, all work from HU though. 

Older CBD100's running as dual normal with separate ID's. 39,40 & 41. 39 & 40 control two sets, only 39 works with sequence. 41 has a spare output not being uses but 41 is working

Can't imagine it being a preview or preview setup issue, as previews work, but am new to S5/6 this year. LONG LONG time user of S3 & S4

Ideas more than welcome!

3 hours ago, jwblazek said:

By not launching reliably, poor choice of words I guess

More specifically the launch part and less so about the reliably part. I am assuming it means seeing the Control Panel app window showing up.

Because only one instance of CP is allowed to run, it could either be a crash on startup or the app failed to shutdown on last use. Checking windows task manager to see if LORTray.exe is running can help troubleshoot either way. If its in the list and stays in the list of running apps, the app is failing to shut down completely. If its not in the list or shows up and then drops out, the app is crashing during start up.

So far I have been able to use HU and CP together without issue, but I am only using one COM port and not switching COM ports while both are running. I have seen un-expected results when trying to test lights and the player was enabled. It happened to be playing a show at the time I was trying to test the lights. So that is why I brought up disabling the player as something to try, even though I doubt the player being enabled is causing COM port conflicts.

If COM port conflicts is a big issue, you can launch/start HU without first starting CP. Just hit "Windows key + S" and type in Light-O-Rama Hardware to start it without Control Panel running.

Edited by Jeremiah Ackermann