Light-O-Rama Forums

Create Shows Vs. Play Shows

Moshack

Hey there everyone!

I just downloaded and upgraded to S6 Pro and I am running into some issues/questions about the new Control Panel.  There are two different options in question (Create Shows - can add a series of sequences together to create a scheduled show / Play Shows - create a "cue list" of sequences that we can play).  However, I feel like am I missing something here when it comes to understand these two.  I would think I would be able to "Create a Show" and then add it into the Play Show cue (however, Play Show only takes sequence files--not .lss files).  Furthermore, I've created a scheduled show to start testing for my Halloween display, but the scheduled show is NOT running at the identified time.  When I add sequences to the cue list, they play appropriately but I cannot get a show to run at a scheduled time.

Here are some things I've tested/verified:

• Checked date/time were valid
    • Set the time in the future to make sure it would roll into the time
  • Toggled "Active/Inactive" back and forth
  • Clicked the "Needs prep" icon
  • Clicked Update Status
  • Tried various different sequences
  • I don't see a Create Show log anywhere to see if I am receiving any error logs
  • I no longer have the System Tray icon where I would previously "Enable" the show (believe this is what the Active/Inactive toggling replaced--not 100% sure though)

Am I missing something here?  Also, is there some sort of tutorial for the new S6 Control Panel?  I could not find one on the site or on Youtube.

Thanks in advanced!

Matt

There is built-in help - click the "?" icon - next to the cloud icon in the title bar. It is also available online here: https://www1.lightorama.com/downloads/6.1.0/help/

If you have existing LSS files, you can "import" them using the Import button in Create Shows. No need to do that if you've already created your show in S6.

Only shows with the toggle set to Active will be scheduled to run

After "Create Shows" you want to go to the Show Player, which may look different, but works the same way as the S4/S5 Show Player -- it plays your scheduled as well as show on demand. It needs to be running in order for your scheduled shows to run.

Live Player is meant for live performances, theatre, church services, etc, where you want control over when each sequence starts. It will not play scheduled shows.

To switch between Show Player and Live Player, you need to set Play Shows to Disabled first.

Think of the "Create Show" as the former Show Editor, Schedule Editor, and Verifier all combined.  As Matt said, you can import your existing .lss show files or create them in Create Shows.  You set the times and optional dates and or day of the week on the show settings as well.  Just as with the Schedule Editor in S5, where a Calendar entry will preempt the weekly schedule, the same in S6.  So for example, my year round landscaping shows run every night, except on the nights that have specific dates set (the minor holidays such as Valentines Day, St. Patrick's Day, 4th of July, etc).  The additional ability to enable or disable a show with a toggle switch means for me that I can have my year round shows, my Halloween, and Christmas shows all built and for example when Christmas starts, I can either set date ranges for the Christmas show which will then preempt the landscape shows, or toggle off the landscape shows and toggle on the Christmas shows (what I expect to do).  Beats having to completely rebuild the show calendar a few times per year as I had to do with S5 and prior.

1 hour ago, Moshack said:

I would think I would be able to "Create a Show" and then add it into the Play Show cue (however, Play Show only takes sequence files--not .lss files)

Assuming you are intending to use the Show Player just as it functioned in S5, you never NEED to add any sequences into the Show Player.  Your shows will play and display upcoming shows and sequences in the various player windows - very similar to the player status page except with some more detail.  Matt explained some of the required settings.  The bottom section for Override sequences is only for additional sequences that you can on the fly insert into your show without otherwise changing the show schedule.  For example, you could have a "Turn off your headlights" sequence that you could manually trigger when you notice someone messing up the show by pointing their headlight right at the show or other cars.

Matt also explained the Live player and how that is different from the Show Player.