Light-O-Rama Forums

Motion Effects on 1-Dimensional Prop

Steven

I have a string of 30 pixels on the eave of my house. It's on the gable end, so the shape is an inverted 'V'. I used the shape "Lines-Connected", and "RGB Pixels". I drew it in Preview in this shape so that pixels 1-15 slant up from left to right, and pixels 16-30 slant down.

I have motion effects (e.g. BlendedBars) that go from left to right, which look okay, but I would also like an effect that sweeps from peak (top) to bottom. The Motion Effect Generator dialog shows the string in the correct shape, but when I select "up" or "down" in the BlendedBars effect, all the bulbs flash together. "Left" and "right" work as expected.

How to I tell l the Motion Effect Generator that pixels 15 and 16 are on the top and pixels 1 and 30 are on the bottom when doing "up" and "down" effects?

Maybe the lights flash together due to the “bars” being in a horizontal position?… 

you can run a scanner effect on one side of the gable, then just reverse the direction on the other side. 

3 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Can't help you in Motion Effects, but I do stuff like that in SuperStar...

That is a solution. It was easily done with 2 morphs. Thanks.

There are cases, however, where a motion effect would be more appropriate.

11 hours ago, Steven said:

How to I tell l the Motion Effect Generator that pixels 15 and 16 are on the top and pixels 1 and 30 are on the bottom when doing "up" and "down" effects?

I was able to get the effect you want with the Blender Bars  motion effects. Here is what I did. With the prop created as a single line effect with one fold I used the blender bar effect with the direction set to H-Expand This has the blender bar effect start in the middle of the string  (the peak) and expand out horizontally. This creates the effect I think you were looking for. You can also go with H-compress that gives you the reverse. 

Edited by Box on Rails

Make friends with CREATE CHASE. I'd create two groups, 1-15 and 16-30. Then create a chase for each group in the sequencer grid. No need for a motion effect. Once you get the hang of it, it takes. like 30 seconds to create. And you can copy/paste as the chase as needed through out the sequence.

Once you get the hang of it, you can create all kind of effects like:

1. All lights of a single color with a different color as the chase.

2. All lights off except the chase (which can be in any color).

3. Color changing chase as it chases

4. You can add the Sparkle, Twinkle, ramp up or down along the chase. 

5 You can start both at the bottom and meet at the top

6. Start both at the top and go to the bottom.

7. Start at one end and go up one side and then down the other side

In Modify Motion Rows, select Subdivide and create 2 sections (left and right). This will create new motion rows for each section. And now you can sequence the left and right side of your eaves independently.

https://www1.lightorama.com/downloads/6.1.0/help/motion_effect_rows_dialog.htm

On 9/11/2022 at 7:14 PM, Jimehc said:

Try it via a group

That was the solution: Create 2 separate strings; then group them using "Arrangement: Preview." Any other arrangement will set the size to "W x 1" or "2W x 2", which causes all pixels on each side to be the same color when doing effects that move vertically.

I can still use Superstar morphs, although I have to increase the width of the morph because the pixels are not exactly in a straight line, because the "Low Res/High Res" slider can only be adjusted in increments.

On 9/11/2022 at 7:14 PM, Jimehc said:

Else create a custom prop

This could also be a solution, but it seems like more work than just using 2 strings.

• Like 1