Light-O-Rama Forums

Run show on Visualizer first?

Donl1150

Running S4 and using Visualizer to build my sequences.  When I have all my songs done, is there a way to run my entire show on the Visualizer before I set it to run on the house?  That would make life a whole lot easier but I am not sure how, or if, it can be done.  Does anyone know how?  Thx

Yes you can.  It's been three years since I ran S4, so I may be slightly off in this description, but it should be at least close enough for you to find.  This is something that you can do in S4 - that you CAN'T do in S5 and has been requested many times (including by me).  You can set the show player to control Visualizer when the Show Player is running.  As I recall, it is an option when you right click on the LOR light bulb in the system tray.  Then run the show from your computer.  Note, you WILL need to have the USB to RS-485 adapter(s) plugged into that computer, and Network Preferences set - that is something to know if you play the show from a different computer than you are trying to play for this test.

BTW, with a little router magic, you can send the Visualizer commands to a computer running Visualizer at a different location.  Just to prove I could do it, I ran Visualizer on a computer in my office at work, and was able to watch what the lights at home were doing.  Worked fine except no audio...

Thanks Jim.  I will look into it when I get a chance.   But what’s the purpose of the adapter if I am running the show to the Visualizer?   And what do I do in Net Pref?    Never been in that function before.  

That's right, I remember you only run your show from a Director.  If you are going to run the show from a computer (even just to drive Visualizer for a test), the Show Player MUST be able to communicate with the USB adapter(s) that are configured for the show.  It does not matter if there is nothing hooked up to the USB adapter - the USB adapter just needs to be there for the Show Player to run.  As for Network Preferences, Network Preferences is where you set the Comm Port for each LOR or DMX network.

Ahhh ha.  So I will give that a try.   No need to go to Pref.   I will just hook up the adapter and check it out.  Fool the adapter I guess!  Hope it works.  Sure makes sense to see the whole show on your computer in Visualizer before you do a “Chevy Chase” plug in!  

Thanks for the tip Jim.  Works great. 

In summary, 1) plug in your USB adapter (no light output needed) 2)  Have your Visualizer running 3) right click on the light bulb in the tray 4) select Show on Demand & pick your show from your Show folder 5)  Start show.....sit back and enjoy (more than likely critique to make refinements!)