Light-O-Rama Forums

20amp circuits and extension cords

msbreton

I’m converting two of my LOR1602W controllers to 20amps this year. That means I need 4 dedicated 20amp circuits to feed them.

I’m working on plans to get a subpanel location near the controllers but I may not have a good means to get the wire permanently where I need it.

If that doesn’t work, I may need to run extension cords from the closest location I can get the new 20amp outlets to the controllers.

I know there have been a lot of posts on extension cords, gauge and lengths but it seems many of them are focusing on eventually feeding a 15amp destination.

In my case, I’ll have 4 20amp destinations (the 2 controllers, 2 circuits each). What size extensions cords can I get away with at 20amps at say 50’ and maybe 100’?

Any suggestions on best place to get them at lowest cost?

Thanks!

They will need to be at least 12 gauge, but I don't think you will find any extensions rated at 20 amps. Even the 12 gauge ones are usually listed at 15 amps because of the connectors. A 20 amp cord will have one prong sideways and they won't come cheap even if you do find them.

What I've done is used double pole 20 amp breakers and run 12-3 wire, sharing the neutral. That gives me two 20amp circuits with just one run of wire. I've done this 4 times, giving me 8 20amp circuits outside my house.

Installing 20amp sockets and wiring to the controllers (don't forget to replace the 15amp controller cords/plugs with 20amp) is probably the 'best' bet, but if that is not practical, you may be able to get 30amp cords for RVs at RV stores and Walmart fairly cheaply (I think when I got mine a few years back they were about $15 for 50'). Of course, the plugs and sockets won't match the source or the load, so you will need to make converters from 30A to 20A and from 20A to 30A. Or you could wire the Controller end directly into the Controller and/or install 30 amp sockets next to the 20amp outlets.

For making converters, Camping World has (or did have) the 30 amp plugs and sockets on 1 foot cords with the other end bare. The 20 amp plugs and sockets should be available at Lowes/Home Depot/etc. Or you may be able to get all the parts for the adapters at Lowes/Home Depot/etc.

I'm not sure of the safety issues, but perhaps you could run 2 smaller cords for each 20A circuit. The source would not be difficult, since you can get dual 20A outlets which also allow 15Amp plugs to be inserted, but the load end would be a bit more difficult. Optimal would be to wire up 2 15A plugs to a 20A socket, or perhaps have 4 15A cords going into the controller tied together in pairs.

• 1 month later...

Wow, just came across an interesting option for providing 30, 40 or even 60A remotely.

I was in home depot and came across a cord with a small box with 4 20a sockets on one end and a round 4 pin plug on the other. No place for it on the shelf, no bar code, no manufacturer, nothing. The Home Depot guy could not find it in the computer, but I remembered that plug looked like the one on my generator, so I went over to the generator department, and there is was (part of an accessory kit).

220v, 30A, which means that you would have 60A of 110 total at the end. Use a dual 30A breaker (you need the opposing phases to avoid overloading the common return), appropriate wire, and have the appropriate socket in a box where conveniant (they have that socket at Home Depot).

This particular 'conveniance cord' was 25' long which might not help many people. However, you can probably build or buy the 220v 30A extention cords in longer lengths and end up with this 'conveniance cord' or a 'converter' like I got with my generator, basically a 2' cord with the 4 pin plug on one end, and 3 or 4 15 amp sockets on the other.