Light-O-Rama Forums

Quick Question regarding Extension Cords/LOR1602

chowell

Quick question, If I need to run an extension cord from my outlet, say anywhere from 40ft to 100ft, and then plug in my LOR1602W controller at that point, could there be any problems associated with that.....loss of power, etc. I wouldn't use anything smaller than the outdoor cord that most of us use for our lights. Would I need a bigger gauge than that? I will have 30a breakers installed for each controller. I want to make sure I sequence the right controller for the right side of my house and it would work well If I can run one extension cord to that side instead of 16. Let me know if any of you have had any problems not plugging the controller directly to the outlet.

Just to add my two cents worth -

If you go to buy a 100' 15amp cord, it will typically be 14 guage. 12 guage will support 20 amps at 100'.

D.T.

So it looks like if I'm estimating 20-24 amps on this controller, 12 gauge will not be enough? Do they make 10 gauge cords or will I need to make one myself?

Check out RV stores or WalMart. They have 30 amp extention cords in 25' and 50' lengths for RVs pretty cheap. I think I got a 50' one for $15 or so. Install a RV 30 amp socket where conveniant to the breaker panel, and cut off the socket end and install a box with 2 15 amp sockets. Or if all you need is 15 amps, the same store should have a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter.

If your pulling 30 amps total through a controller that should be on TWO seperate input power cords not one.

If your thinking of running one 30 amp cord and plugging both controller plugs in to one cord, that will work. I do think with expense of cords you would be wiser to go 2 cords to supply 15 amps each.

The input terminals are rated at max of 20 amps per side. If your planning on connecting one power cord to the controller and pushing 30 amps through, you need to reconsider your plan.

Chuck

I actually forgot about the two separate plugs on the controller. But, If I install 30amp breakers and was to plug one controller into one outlet/circuit instead of two different circuits, as long as my power draw does not exceed about 80% of the 30amps, the circuit will not be overloaded, right? So, two extension cords plugged into the same socket/circuit (obviously 2 gang box) should still work as long as I don't exceed the 80% of the 30amps? And the cords are of a high enough gauge/rating?

yes, however there are some things to keep in mind. First, if you put in a 30 amp breaker, you must make sure that the wiring between the breaker and the outlet can handle 30 amps. Using 'normal' 15 amp wiring and drawing 30 amps through it is not a good idea.

Next, if you use 15 amp sockets and only draw 15 amps through each one, that is fine. However, if anyone ever draws more than 15 amps through one of these (remember, the breaker won't care until you get to 30 amps), that could be exciting as the socket or the plug or the power cord or device is overloaded.

Of course, you would never do that, but someday, someone who doesn't know any better may use that outlet with less than fun results.

So your best bet is to put in a 30 amp outlet (RV stores have them) or add 15 amp breakers/fuses at the outlets to limit each one to 15 amps.

Yeah, I'm planning 10/2 for the wiring to each socket. I just want to make sure I can make the extension cord work and I think if I can find the 30amp cords at a reasonable price, and from what everyone is saying, I should be OK.