Light-O-Rama Forums

Playing Devil's Advocate

Sctiger

So with it being my "break time" after all the decorations are put away (ok..well mostly put away!), I thought I'd get some input from y'all.

Let's assume for a moment that you had a basic 32 channel Light O Rama AC controller setup (which I do) and you entered the video contest on Wowlights (which I didn't). Which option would you choose to add the most impact to your show? According to their website, these are the prizes:

Winners will receive your choice of Light-O-Rama CTB16PC 16 channel light controller 
(value $259.99), WowLights Dumb RGB Controller (value $289.99), or WowLights
Intelligent E1.31 RGB 4 Output Controller (value $299.99). 

One day when I figure out how to actually video my display  I might enter these contests ?

Well it depends on personal preference, I don't really like the look of pixels so my choice would be the CTB16PC. I did enter the contest there and on the LOR site as well. I am adding 4 more controllers this year so a free one would be nice.

Tom

Edited by TBS99

Not sure if I understand why you even care if you didn't enter the contest. But Mike gives you plenty of options. I was a winner last year and he even said I could use the money for anything in the store. I took the CTB16PC - but that's because I'm all AC - except for some 50watt floods. 

https://www.wowlights.com/Shared/SharedView.asp?Video=8345

I care because I have an interest in the hobby and also ways to improve my own show. When I saw the contest, I wondered which of the options would make the greatest impact and also because I know little to nothing about pixels.

Bottom line, it was just a bit of daydreaming and a bit of boredom combined. I didn't realize it would ruffle feathers.

I don't see where you ruffled feathers. Nobody seems upset here.

IMO you shouldn't think about how to make your show better because of what might be free for winning.

You should think about how you would make your show better depending on what you want to make it better with.

If you're all AC with no RGB or pixels, you have to decide if you want to stay on that path or expand your horizon to other types of lights.

It's not the equipment that improves your show, it's what you do with that equipment.

I've seen some videos of displays that had pixels and such and wasn't impressed with a few just because there wasn't much going on. But then I've seen other videos where AC lights kicked a$$. And of course vise-versa in the previous experience where pixels kicked a$$ and can be amazing depending on how they are used.

Decide what you want based on your capabilities and what you like as an end result. Not just because something can possibly be free from a contest.

just my two cents.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sctiger said:

I care because I have an interest in the hobby and also ways to improve my own show. When I saw the contest, I wondered which of the options would make the greatest impact and also because I know little to nothing about pixels.

Bottom line, it was just a bit of daydreaming and a bit of boredom combined. I didn't realize it would ruffle feathers.

Sorry if I upset you. Was just trying to understand why you cared about the prizes for a contest you don’t enter. 

Now I see it clearer. All about the same price and so which option makes the best bang for buck. Got it. 

Again, sorry to go down wrong path. 

I agree with Santas Helper. It’s what you think/want. 

I’m an ac led fan. I love the vibrant colors and if I want all blue AND green, I can. Don’t have to choose one or the other. Also, burned out and stuck on full white doesn’t happen to me....

I think you should build your display the way you want it and not try to please other people's  ideas and then if you happen to win a contest that's just a bonus for your creativity .

• Like 2

I think you should build your display the way you want it and not try to please other people's  ideas and then if you happen to win a contest that's just a bonus for your creativity .

I think you should build your display the way you want it and not try to please other people's  ideas and then if you happen to win a contest that's just a bonus for your creativity . B)

6 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

I think you should build your display the way you want it and not try to please other people's  ideas and then if you happen to win a contest that's just a bonus for your creativity . B)

It's funny you mention that I was thinking the same thing:blink:

• Haha 2

Expanding a display for 'contest" reasons IMO, is Pluthe wrong reason for being in the hobby. 

Plus, I hate whep contestants come to forums, begging forf online votes.  Vote for me because I'm a forum member. 

1 hour ago, mpageler said:

Expanding a display for 'contest" reasons IMO, is Pluthe wrong reason for being in the hobby. 

Plus, I hate whep contestants come to forums, begging forf online votes.  Vote for me because I'm a forum member. 

Awe, yes, I recall just such a thread for Christmas, my reply to his request was IMO spot on. I have seen some contests that will DQ you if it is found that someone goes to an outside source in an attempt to sway the outcome.

BTW- If they were a long standing/ contributing member of LOR than I would have helped him out, however most of the long term members that enter the contests let the videos speak for them and are not desperate enough to solicit for votes.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sctiger said:

I think somewhere we've made a wrong turn at Albuquerque ?

No, you are good. We all just shared some thoughts that's what helps humans look at and take in a different perspective. That's what public forums are all about.

My reply was based solely on another thread that if you want to read just type in "vote" in search engine. I am sure it will appear. In desperation someone joined the forums trying to sway a vote based on the though that we may help him. Then he belittled people for certain types of lights and props. That's not good to do. I use all types of light and props so I just had to say something. Specifically "how could someone that has inflatables think they have spent a lot of time setting up those props". I can guarantee the person that wrote that statement that I almost for sure had more time vested in sitting up my inflatable "skit" than he had in his entire display. And that skit was only a very small fraction of my display.

Had that same person been any of the great guys that posted within this thread to probably include you, I would have at least voted. Just his rationality was truly out of line and to beat up on people just for what they have or do not have is just wrong. Everyone's situation is different. The lady in my neighborhood has to have static displays due to several of her children/ grandchildren have seizures. She does a top notch HAlloween and Christmas display using regular non flashing lights, blow molds, inflatables and other built props.

JR