Light-O-Rama Forums

Transmit through a TV Antenna?

crazytrain83

Hey guys...

We transmit through out Ramsey FM25B.

I just found out that we could get our hands on a free 6 foot TV antenna.

Would we be able to broadcast our show through this antenna. And if so, would it broadcast too powerful of a signal?

Thanks!

The only reason these FM transmitters don't require a license is because you have to follow certain rules to limit their interference to other licensed FM stations.

The rules govern the power and antenna requirements. Sure, you can do anything you want, but you may not if you follow the rules.

In this case, the rules are law, and you can be fined for interference.

BTW, why the heck would you want to transmit beyond the visible range of your show?

crazytrain83 wrote:

Hey guys...

We transmit through out Ramsey FM25B.

I just found out that we could get our hands on a free 6 foot TV antenna.

Would we be able to broadcast our show through this antenna. And if so, would it broadcast too powerful of a signal?

Thanks!

I am by no means and expert but consider the following:

TV antenna were specifically designed to receive frequencies as follows: VHF Lo - 55 to 88 MHz, VHF Hi -175 to 211 MHz and UFH - 471 MHz to 801 MHz. My parent's antenna had a separate fm element that was designed to receive 88 MHz to 108 MHz.

Transmission antennas are designed to transmit only one frequency.

Using the wrong antenna can damage the output components of your transmitter.

There are many very effective and inexpensive antennas if you are looking to extend your range.

I agree with Paul that you should be mindful of how powerful you transmit as you may illegally encroach upon another's broadcast.

There are many good threads here, at PC, DIY Christmas and others that will give you all the detailed information you could possibly need.