Light-O-Rama Forums

What will be the best way to buy.....

chowell

I am a new user this year and am planning on 80 channels this year. I already have the LOR2 software (the purchased version) and am wanting some input on how to buy. I see the starter packages up to 64 channels which includes controllers, cables, and software, however, I am wanting 80 channels, so 5 controllers, and won't be needing the software. Should I just plan on buying the controllers and cables separately, or try and buy a 64 channel starter package without the software, and add the fifth controller? Or, buy a 16 channel starter, and add the 64 channel add-on package? Just trying to get ready for the sale.

Thanks much.
Corey

Corey,you always start from the begging. learn to stand before you walk. before you take a leap into bigger and better thing.
understand what your getting yourself into. I've seen a lot of member go and buy a lot of controler, cords and light. than throw in the towel. it does hurt. you do develop friends and knowledge, and knowledge is always the key.

everyone here. is here to help.

as a newbee I'ld go for a 32 channel starter package and see how 2008 goes.

lor forum is here for you and others

I would go with the starter package and contact LOR because you already have the purchase software. They have been good to work with people. I know in the past people have asked for the starter package when they order the software and LOR will release the software and hold the cable and the 485 adapter til you place the order for the controller(s) and then they ship out. Might be worth a phone call.

Chuck

Corey,

First off, wait 10 days. LOR is having a summer sale, and you can find the items at a discount. If your budget allows you to buy the 80 channels, my thought is to go ahead. BUT, here is my input. What has been stated here is very true. Newbies need to crawl-walk-run. Adding animation is very cool, and a lot of fun, when done right. Some have started with 16 channels, some with over a 100. Either way, your display is going to take a huge jump in logistics. Plan-plan-plan. The time you spend is going to go way up and is an exponential scale with the additional channels. Your cost is not the controllers, you will need extension cords too. The big cost to you, is going to be your time.

We all started out with a set amount of channels. Then yearned for more. Let me have you look at this a bit different. If you can afford 80, get em. Plan for 32 or 48 as has been stated. If you decide to add something you have the extra channels.

Also, the LOR hardware is very reliable, but, triacs and channels fail. You will want to plan having spare channels in case "stuff happens"

Enjoy what you are doing, this is not a competition. Easing into things and knowing that you will do this for the long haul is the best mindset, and will prevent burnout (which will occur, no doubt, no matter what), or at least reduce the anxiety of getting a display ready.

Ask question and plan-plan-plan. Time is cheaper in the planning stage, rather than when you are in the yard setting up and realize that, 'it just won't work this way".

chowell wrote:

I am a new user this year and am planning on 80 channels this year. I already have the LOR2 software (the purchased version) and am wanting some input on how to buy. I see the starter packages up to 64 channels which includes controllers, cables, and software, however, I am wanting 80 channels, so 5 controllers, and won't be needing the software. Should I just plan on buying the controllers and cables separately, or try and buy a 64 channel starter package without the software, and add the fifth controller? Or, buy a 16 channel starter, and add the 64 channel add-on package? Just trying to get ready for the sale.

Thanks much.
Corey

During the sale you should just look for the best deal. Because you already purchased the software, if you get a starter package you can get the cost of the software deducted from it. Just put a comment in the order that you already purchased the software. This way you will get your connector free or at a reduced cost (dending on which one you get).

Thanks for all your input folks! I have already experienced a bit of that overwhelming feeling. I spent a good 15-20 hours on my first sequence earlier this year, and it was only 1:30 long!!! However, I did my after Christmas shopping with LOR in mind so I purchased a big supply of extension cords. Last year, I used Mr. Christmas so I got a small taste of how to plan the display around extension cords, LOL. I thought about starting with 32 channels but my static display last year consisted of approximately 8000-10000 lights, and this year will be near 20,000 somewhere so I just have too much cool stuff I want to do with the lights. I don't however want to get burned out already....it is such a fun hobby!!! I'll see how the sale goes Saturday and what the prices look like. Thanks again everyone for all your input!!! I'm happy to hear from others still.....

Corey

chowell wrote:

but my static display last year consisted of approximately 8000-10000 lights, and this year will be near 20,000 somewhere so I just have too much cool stuff I want to do with the lights.

Corey
my first year i had 2500, my second 6300 my third 30000 animated and i had 48 channels...this year i bought 2 controllers to cover adding red and green to all that was clear on my house plus more control to my mega tree and adding more lights to the mega tree as well...32 channels would be MORE than enough for 20000 lights even 48 would be good...but 80?...SLOW DOWN...what i learned from last year...IM the only one who notices small things and accents here and there...not those watching...being anal is good TO AN EXTENT...but try stepping back and looking at it as someone who had NOTHING to do with planning the display...youll still get compliments, smiles and laughs from the children AND adults...crawl, walk, RUN

good luck AND ENJOY