Light-O-Rama Forums

Minimum Computer?

Dennis Cherry

I have a old laptop sitting on the shelf and was wondering if it can be used to run my show this year?

I have a old 233 MHz laptop and it only has 24 Meg of RAM, yes I said 24.

It originally had Windows 95 but now has Windows 98 SE. Everything i have installed in the past years has run just fine.

The Laptop is called "Green 56" has a CD, serial port, 3.5" Floppy drive, 13" LCD screen.

I will do all programming on my Sony Laptop with XP then move the files to the Green 56 via my intranet in my house.

Will the S2 software load OK on a 98 machine?

What else do I need to be aware of in problems?

Dennis, I would be concerned about the RAM as well. I run my shows on a computer with the same specs, but with 128mb ram.

160 channels ran just fine over the last few years.

I agree with William and Don the RAM is concerning; to be honest I would recommend the Mini Director; for the price and no worries. Unless you have more use for the computer then just LOR.

Harrison

hbomb341 wrote:

I agree with William and Don the RAM is concerning; to be honest I would recommend the Mini Director; for the price and no worries. Unless you have more use for the computer then just LOR.

Harrison

I am trying to keep expenses down the first year so the mini director would be a extra expense.

I got to convince the wife about any more large purchases. I bought everything new this year including the DPM transmitter.

Yes RAM would be a problem, that is the big question, I tried finding RAM for this computer and it just does not exist anymore, Stuck at 24 Meg.

Guest wbottomley

Dennis... try setting up a scheduled sequence with usb adapter and one controller connected. No need to connect lights.

Run it for a while to see what happens or until it locks up.

Have you tried ebay to find more ram?